University Chaplain, Coordinator of Pilgrimages
University Ministry at Lewis University invites applications for a full-time University Chaplain, Coordinator of Pilgrimages to prepare and preside at liturgies; vision and implement a pilgrimage program; and work on another Ministry program.
Lewis University is an innovative and entrepreneurial Catholic university offering market-relevant undergraduate and graduate programs to 6,500 students. Sponsored by the De La Salle Christian Brothers, Lewis University is nationally recognized for preparing intellectually engaged, ethically grounded, globally connected and socially responsible graduates. For additional information on Lewis as an institution, please see our website at http://www.lewisu.edu.
University Ministry, in harmony with Lewis' Catholic and Lasallian identity, embraces and nurtures enlightened religious experience within our community. University Ministry's primary focus is to be a sign and instrument of the Gospel. Therefore we proclaim and celebrate the Gospel and invite the University Community into this mission. We seek to light our students' hearts on fire for God's Kingdom valuing faith; service; and community.
- Sees himself as a minister – one who accompanies people on their faith journey, who provokes and challenges people to live good lives, who comforts and counsels those in need, and who calls people together in the spirit of association.
- Incorporates student leaders into programs.
- Participates in, at least, yearly professional development (books, conferences, classes) and formation experiences (retreats, days of reflection).
- Models respectful, collaborative and active support of the University's Mission and of Catholic and Lasallian higher education through dedicated job performance and exemplary service to the University's many constituencies.
- Be an effective, contributing member of a ministry team that develops a complex ministry program in service to undergraduates, graduates, faculty, and staff.
- Preside regularly at Sunday evening and weekday liturgies.
- Implement a yearly liturgical plan.
- Pilgrimage Program
- Offer credit bearing pilgrimages by collaborating with faculty to offer 1-3 credit hour classes and with staff to serve as trained spiritual companions.
- Design and implement relationship building, recruiting processes, formation experiences, administrative policies, procedures, materials, and financial stipends for faculty partners and staff companions.
- Serve as the Associate Moderator of the Koinonia Retreat, Athletic Chaplaincy, or another Ministry Program
- Team Member
- Support the University Ministry Team in responding to the needs of our students, faculty, and staff especially in times of crisis or grief.
- Serve as a resource to Ministry staff and students on official Church teaching.
- Serve on Ministry and other University committees or task forces as assigned.
- Participate in weekly staff meetings, VIP and Open House Days, provide guidance in pastoral conversations with students and staff, and provide a pastoral presence in residence halls and common areas.
Minimum Qualifications: Be a priest in good standing in the Roman Catholic Church and be recognized as such by the Bishop of Joliet. Be an effective celebrant for a congregation of college students. Be a creative, flexible and contributing member of a university ministry team as it attempts to respond to the multiple needs of students, faculty and staff in a university community. M.Div. required. University experience preferred. Pilgrimage, retreat, and training experience preferred.
Application Instructions: For a full description and to apply visit: https://jobs.lewisu.edu/postings/3103
Inspired by the University's Mission values of Wisdom, Knowledge, Justice, Fidelity and Association, the Lewis Community declares that Lewis is a Sanctified Zone where people are committed to working to end racism, bias and prejudice by valuing diversity in a safe and nurturing environment.
Lewis University, sponsored by the De La Salle Christian Brothers, is an equal opportunity employer, and is committed to diversity. Applicants of a diverse background are highly encouraged to apply, however applications will only be accepted from individuals currently authorized to work on a full-time basis in the United States.