Accompanist – Classical Choral (Pool)
Accompanist – Classical Choral (Pool)
(Accompanist II – Non-Exempt)
This is an hourly, part-time, temporary pool position paid hourly through May 17, 2018, with the possibility of renewal.
Apply Today! Open until filled. Application Screening Begins: March 27, 2018
Under the general supervision of the Department Chair, the Accompanist plays one or more musical instruments (piano, keyboard and/or organ) and composes and improvises music for interpretive vocal accompaniment and class demonstrations. Provides accompaniment for choirs and operatic public performances and coaches soloists or small groups.
The Music and Performing Arts Department (MPA) is an integral part of the College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences. The department provides students foundations in theory, history, and performance leading to concentrations in Recording Technology and Contemporary Music. For additional information regarding the Department of Music and Performing Arts, please visit: https://csumb.edu/mpa.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Plays standard music from written scores in accompanying vocal courses during class meeting times.
- Provides accompaniment for variety of groups, such as choirs, glee clubs, workshops, during rehearsals and public recitals on and off campus.
- Improvises and composes music for interpretive choral music performances; demonstrates rhythmic and harmonic structure for classes.
- Transcribes music from recordings for which there are no piano scores. Coaches solo artists and opera workshops groups.
- Assists in assembling and maintaining a music library.
- Performs other job-related duties and special projects as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Knowledge of: fundamentals of harmony; and skill in playing one or more musical instruments as accompanist.
Ability to: select appropriate dance music; ability to compose or improvise music, ability to coach performing artists; ability to transcribe music from recordings.
Experience, which has led to a thorough familiarity with accompanying choral groups and soloists (instrumental and vocal), or interpretive dances. Depending upon the position to be filled, experience in coaching performing artists may be required.
SPECIALIZED SKILLS REQUIRED:
Ability to reliably meet lesson and rehearsal schedules. Excellent sight-reading and transposition of music skills and piano performance. Must have the ability hear well enough to identify auditory tones. Ability to effectively work well with faculty and students to schedule rehearsals and performances.
Advanced training and experience as a piano accompanist in a wide variety of musical settings. A bachelor’s degree in Music preferred.
Technical fluency with Microsoft Office Professional Suite, Oracle-PeopleSoft/CMS baseline system; and Google G Suite.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check (including a criminal records check).
- The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
- This position will have a duty to report to the Campus Title IX Officer information pertaining to victims of sex discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, dating/domestic violence, and stalking as required by CSU Executive Order 1095.
- This position has been designated as a sensitive position with responsibility or access/possession of building master or sub-master keys for building access.
- Occasional evenings and/or weekend work is required.
May require standing or sitting for extended periods of time playing musical instruments; e.g., piano, keyboard and/or organ, and working at a computer and desk. May require travel between campus offices and off-campus locations.
Anticipated hiring salary is $26.27 per hour. For salary range info see: CSU Salary Schedule. The University Corporation at CSU Monterey Bay also provides access to affordable campus housing, Employee Housing.
TENTATIVE RECRUITMENT TIMELINE:
March 28 & 29, 2018: Interviews
Ready to Apply For This Great Opportunity? If so, please visit: Accompanist – Classical Choral at http://csumb.peopleadmin.com/postings/4055. Also, see how we're Doing What Matters! at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THTBSqSss3U.
For full consideration, submit the required documents by 5:00 p.m. on the priority screen date listed above. For assistance or if you require an accommodation, please call (831) 582-3389. For computer/online access you may visit the Tanimura & Antle Family Memorial Library (map). Please check the links provided for the respective hours.
CSU Monterey Bay is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to: Age, Disability, Race or Ethnicity, Gender, Gender Identity or Expression, Nationality, Religion, Sexual Orientation, Genetic Information, Veteran or Military Status.
All employees must be eligible for employment in the U.S.