Associate Dean, Academic Programs
The National College of Education at NLU seeks a dynamic, highly-qualified education leader to serve as Associate Dean for Academic Programs. The successful candidate will help shepherd the College from its long history of innovation and excellence to a future state of programmatic excellence in preparation and development of educators from new teachers to school and district leaders. The Associate Dean is responsible for overseeing program development, continuous improvement and quality initiatives, including accreditation and assessment. He/she joins a leadership team of administrators and faculty committed to the growth and distinction of the National College of Education as a recognized voice in achieving excellence and equity for all students.
Who we are
NLU’s National College of Education pioneered the kindergarten movement in the 1880s and has been an innovator in preparing educators ever since. The College houses the School of Teacher Preparation and School of Advanced Professional Studies, and offers a full array of degrees (BA, MAT, MED, EDS, EDD), endorsements and certificates to meet the needs of today’s new and seasoned education professionals. We understand that teaching and supporting the needs of diverse learners is a calling, a commitment, and a career. Our unique style of partnership with students at all levels—from new teacher preparation to advanced professional programs to doctoral degrees—guides all we do as we create today’s teachers and tomorrow’s leaders. Our programs are designed with the needs of our students in mind. Graduates frequently cite the National College of Education’s top quality professors, convenient locations, flexible course offerings and affordability. Most of all, the commitment to “real world” practice-based, research driven and technology enabled education is unparalleled. NCE graduates make a difference. Our educators are found in 40% of Illinois public schools and 75% of Chicago Public Schools, collectively impacting the lives of 60,000 students each year. We are seeking to expand statewide, outside of Illinois, and internationally.
At NCE, our commitment to learning includes ourselves. We have recently created four new programs and evolved an additional 21 programs to more appropriately address the needs of today’s educators.
Who you are
You are: A proven education leader
You have developed a sophisticated understanding of the needs of PreK-12 educators, and of higher education institutions, and are equipped to work with faculty, staff, students and external stakeholders to implement high quality programs. With strong project management acumen, you are a collaborator who pulls diverse perspectives together around common purpose. You understand the program and course development process, the effective use of data, and the elements of outstanding instructional practice. You are an experienced leader and team player who is adept at coaching, mentoring, problem-solving, and career development. You are a constructive partner to colleagues across the institution, and have the experience to manage a complex program portfolio in a challenging external environment. You are deeply motivated by a desire to work in a learning community that is preparing the next generation of life-changing teachers and education leaders.
You will: Build capacity and ensure excellence of an exciting portfolio of education programs
The Associate Dean is a senior faculty appointment with administrative oversight for academic quality across the College. This entails working closely with program chairs, faculty and staff to ensure programs and courses are innovative, reflect best practice, and meet regulatory/policy requirements and student needs. Ensuring timeliness and quality is the dual purpose.
You are ready to: Make an impact
Each and every day, teachers change lives. And equipping educators at all levels to meet the needs of today’s students is at the core of effective education, teaching and learning. You want to be a part of that meaningful innovation, and can combine big ideas with practical implementation.
• Leads, in consultation with University and College leadership, faculty and staff, the development and implementation of the NCE program portfolio across all program areas
• Serves as the academic leader responsible for developing and implementing the College’s academic quality assurance systems and continuous improvement efforts
- Leads the collection, analysis and use of data to inform and document program and initiate (drive) performance improvement efforts
- Oversees assessment and re-accreditation processes to ensure CAEP accreditation, SPA and other national recognition, and compliance with relevant federal, state and local regulatory requirements and policies
- Fosters the active participation of faculty in academic affairs of College
• Oversees processes related to the development and review of programs and curricula, participating in regular program review, product development and budget processes, and ensures program development is aligned with market needs
- Develops guidance for, and collaborates closely with, faculty and staff regarding program excellence, the curriculum and program development process, and other aspects of academic performance
• Provides management and professional development planning and diagnosis for faculty and staff in support of instructional and student support goals
• Participates broadly in the representation of the College:
- Works with and represents College with external stakeholders in IL and nationally to advance NLU interests and incorporate best practices into College operations
- Contributes to the leadership of the College and University through participation in bodies such as University and College Assessment Committees, Curriculum Committees, Marketing/New Product Development; and other working groups
- Engages in the learning-community life of National Louis University through engagement in meetings, committees, professional development, and collaborative projects with faculty and staff
• Fulfills other faculty duties in Research & Scholarship, Service, Professional Development & Engagement domains.
The successful candidate will bring robust understanding of the mission of Colleges of Education and of the pedagogy and technical aspects of program design and implementation. Working with assessment and data analytics staff, the Associate Dean will lead the effort to renew and maintain national accreditation and recognition.
This position could begin work as early spring 2018 and will be based at either our Chicago or Wheeling campus, with flexibility to visit other Chicagoland campuses as needed.
Qualified applicants for the Associate Dean must possess an earned doctorate in an Education discipline or related field, as well as at least 10 years of relevant higher education and/or education research/policy/practice experience. Demonstrated team leadership experience in complex organizational settings and ability to set direction/goals and implement them. Preference is extended for experience with CAEP, measurement and assessment, accreditation and national recognition of educator preparation programs, as well as significant leadership experiences in educational settings. Advanced proficiency in management of IT and data systems and strong written and oral communications skills.
This is a concurrent faculty appointment. Candidates should be able to demonstrate experience and fluency teaching in online and blended settings using a learning management system. Subject area expertise in fields such as the learning sciences, technology utilization, practice based teaching, or other areas that contribute to the accomplishment of the College of Education mission are of interest as well.