Seasonal Grounds Keeper
Under immediate supervision, this position performs grounds maintenance and landscape gardening work on all property owned by the University of Denver
For non-benefited job postings: This is a non-benefited position not to exceed 1,000 hours in a calendar year.
- Operates equipment to spray, fertilize and aerate lawn areas.
- Operates power lawn mowers and tractors for cutting grass.
- Operates trucks, tractors, and other machinery in the routine care of all grounds
- Operates truck, hand cart, dolly, hand truck and other equipment in the moving and setup of equipment on all University properties.
- Picks up, collects, removes litter and debris from all ground areas
- Rototills, spades, rakes, weeds, and fertilizes flower-planting beds.
- Trims and /or prunes hedges, shrubs, and trees.
- Trim grass by or power edger-trimmer
- Waters lawn and planted areas by hand or sprinkler systems
- Moves various equipment, supplies, and furniture manually or by use of a truck .
- Performs minor repairs, lubricates and sharpens equipment. Reports complex repair needs to supervisor
- Makes minor repairs to parking lots.
- Performs landscape installation.
- Drives to sites with tools and equipment
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Detailed, but easy to follow procedures.
- Daily priorities are established and frequently monitored by supervisor.
- Employee responds to situations requiring immediate attention.
- Ability to follow oral/written instructions
- Must possess a valid Colorado driver's license and be insurable under University guidelines.
- Must pass pre-placement physical.
- A high school diploma or GED.
- One year experience in grounds gardening and/or nursery.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in outside weather conditions The employee frequently works near moving mechanical parts and is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles. The employee occasionally works in high, precarious places and is occasionally exposed to wet and /or humid conditions, toxic and caustic chemicals, risk of electrical shock and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Moderate to strenuous physical effort required. This position requires the operation of semi-heavy machinery including mowers, chain saws, weed-eaters, and other power driven equipment. Workers must be able to withstand long periods of bending, crouching, sitting, standing, reaching and repetitive motions with the hand-wrist and elbow-shoulder.
The employee must be able to work outside in all types of weather and lift, move and carry objects in excess of 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
This position will remain open and accepting applications until filled.
Candidates must apply online through www.du.edu/jobs to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted. Once within the job description online, please scroll to the bottom of the page to apply.
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover Letter
NOTE: The online system is limited to uploading 10 files. Please combine content if necessary to get all content uploaded.
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff and encourages applications from women, minorities, members of the LGBTQ community, people with disabilities and veterans. The University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.
- Offer of employment is based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check and Motor Vehicle Report (MVR).
- All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check, Motor Vehicle Report (MVR), Pre-Employment Physical, Drug Screen, Human Performance Evaluation and verification of employment and education.