Nursing Faculty Medical Surgical Nursing ADN Weekend Program
Capito Department of Nursing
University of Charleston
The faculty member will be responsible for teaching the didactic/theory and clinical medical surgical nursing. The Medical Surgical faculty members teach in the university’s outcomes-based, weekend, Associate Degree Nursing program at the Charleston Campus. The faculty member will teach theory and clinical courses and assist in the preparation of students for a life of productive work, enlightened living and community involvement. This position reports to the Associate Director for Nursing.
Duties of the Nursing Instructor:
Be able and willing to commit and adhere to the policies of the University of Charleston, Bert Bradford School of Health Science, and the Capito Department of Nursing, but not limited to the following:
- Teach in a non-traditional, outcomes based, weekend (every other Friday, Saturday, and Sunday) Associate Degree Nursing program.
- Maintain a minimum of 5 office hours per week on campus for advising in addition to additional office hours on campus as mandated by the Associate Director of Nursing.
- Attend all functions and meetings scheduled by the University of Charleston, Bert Bradford School of Health Sciences, and the Capito Department of Nursing.
- Serve on committees and round tables.
- Provide instructional and/or non-instructional services as a member of the nursing team specified by the faculty member’s contract.
- Actively participate in the development, evaluation and review of curriculum, services, and activities of the nursing program.
- Instruct courses in a manner consistent with the University of Charleston and the Capito Department of Nursing.
- Utilize resources consistent with the University of Charleston, Bert Bradford School of Health Sciences, and the Capito Department of Nursing as appropriate to enhance learning.
- Communicate with students, faculty, staff, clinical agencies and the community in a professional manner.
- Commit to life-long learning and maintain current competency in subject matter and service or clinical area.
- Participate in scholarly activities including professional development and conferences.
- Assume responsibility and accountability for instruction, evaluation of students, planning and implementing curriculum content in the clinical area.
- Establish effective working relationships with personnel from community healthcare agencies.
- Assist the students in the identification and understanding of The University of Charleston, Bert Bradford School of Health Sciences, and the Capito Department of Nursing policies and procedures pertaining to the student, including, but not limited to:
- Mission and Philosophy
- Student responsibilities and accountability to the University, program, clinical facilities, patients and accrediting bodies.
- Learning experiences
- Curriculum, instruction and evaluation throughout the program.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Requirements for the Position:
To acquire an faculty position in nursing, individuals must possess, or be eligible to obtain, an unrestricted WV Registered Professional Nursing license, have a graduate degree with a major in nursing or have a bachelor’s degree with a major in nursing and be admitted and enrolled in a graduate degree program with a major in nursing within one (1) year of employment in the faculty position, and worked in the area of medical surgical nursing two out of the last ten years. Previous teaching experience including proficiency in curriculum development, supervision, instruction, assessment, evaluation and advising in a registered professional nursing program is a desired.
- MSN required or a BSN and willing to enroll in an MSN program within one year of employment
- Minimum 2 years teaching experience in an RN program
- Recent clinical experience required (2 years in the past 10 years) in Medical Surgical Nursing
- Unencumbered, or ability to obtain an unencumbered WV RN license
- Maintain current RN licensure and certifications
- Offer of employment pending approval by the West Virginia Board of Examiners for Registered Professional Nurses
The position is available beginning July 1, 2018. This is a twelve-month position. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Interested applicants should submit cover letter, resume and professional references to:
University of Charleston
Anita Angel, Administrative Assistant to the Dean
2300 MacCorkle Avenue, S.E.
Charleston, WV 25304
Email: [email protected]
The University of Charleston is an Equal Opportunity Employer