Part-Time Technical Services Librarian
The essential responsibility of this position is to plan, develop, and direct the technical services functions of cataloging, acquisitions, serials, and physical processing of the Library collection and involves working directly with OCLC, SIRSI (ILS) and LOGIN (our local consortium). This Librarian is also responsible for coordinating technical services functions with public service functions (Reference and Circulation), and implementing changes, as necessary, to support the mission of the Library and the College.
Daytime hours are required, with a possibility of occasional evening or Saturday hour coverage.
This position requires Reference service coverage as needed.
Examples of Duties:
- Oversees cataloging functions within the RCGC Library and collaborates with consortial members to facilitate access to information content.
- Performs original cataloging of materials in a wide variety of formats
- Supervises and/or performs regular cataloging and classification of all materials; provides accurate bibliographic authority, item description, and classification of materials by creating and maintaining MARC records in the consortial library catalog and OCLC bibliographic database.
- Supervises staff who process materials
- Performs all activities dealing with bibliographic control of library materials, by implementing national and consortial standards.
- Collaborates with other staff, including Circulation and Reference Librarian on matters related to circulation and information access functions in ILS.
- Provides reference backup responsibilities as needed.
- Maintains communication with the Library's ILS consortium, LOGIN, and participates in local meetings and initiatives.
- Prepares statistical and other reports as requested.
- MLS. / M.L.I.S. from an ALA accredited institution.
- Cataloging experience in a variety of bibliographic and physical formats in an integrated library system.
- Familiarity/experience working with LCSH and LCC systems, RDA standards, MARC format, and standard cataloging practices.
- Familiarity/experience with the OCLC bibliographic record utility.
- Familiarity/experience with name, subject, and series authority control.
- Reference experience working with students/faculty/staff, preferably in a community college environment.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Ability to respond effectively to changing needs and priorities showing initiative, flexibility, and a desire for process improvement.
- Flexibility in covering Circulation Desk as needed.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and customer service skills.
- PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience cataloging in the SIRSI library system.
- Supervisory experience, including training.
- Experience providing reference service and library instruction.
- Experience in library collection development and assessment.
- Experience with current technology – software and equipment
- Experience working in a multi-type library consortial environment.