UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO DENVER SCHOOL OF MEDICINE
Nurse Practioner or Physician Assistant/ Instructor
Division of Transplant Surgery - Department of Surgery
School of Medicine
***Please Note that there are 2 openings for this position. One position will be Nights and one position will be Weekends.
General Statement of Duties:
The Division of Transplant Surgery, Department of Surgery at the University of Colorado Denver School of Medicine has a faculty position available at the rank of Instructor for a Nurse Practitioner (NP) or Physician Assistant (PA). Under the direction of the full-time faculty or designee, this position provides inpatient and outpatient medical care services at the University of Colorado Hospital. The transplant surgery service at the University of Colorado Hospital is a high volume, high acuity service. The candidate will be expected to provide independent clinical services for patients seen on the transplant surgery service. There will be involvement in the complete spectrum of care from initial patient contact through discharge. Specific duties of the position will include inpatient responsibilities such as rounding, writing orders, discharge planning and execution, and participating in the care provided to transplant surgery patients while they are in the hospital. Outpatient duties include patient assessment, patient education, care coordination, and disease management. Close collaboration with the transplant surgeons, hospital, and clinic staff will be necessary. The candidate may be asked to work some nights and weekends as patient volume and acuity dictate. The candidate may also be asked to participate in marketing and networking opportunities with referring providers. Eligibility for prescriptive authority is required.
Typical Physical Demands:
The NP/PA position requires the ability to engage in a full range of body motion including handling patients, manual and finger dexterity and hand-eye coordination. The position may also require standing and walking for extended periods of time as required during the provision of services. The position requires normal visual acuity and hearing. The NP/PA may also be exposed to communicable diseases and bodily fluids and it is expected that the candidate will be appropriately knowledgeable regarding universal safety precautions.
Typical Working Conditions:
This is a hospital and clinic based practice. There may be exposure to communicable diseases, toxic substances, medicinal preparations and other conditions common to the clinical environment.
Example of Duties:
- Evaluate and manage patients who are candidates for transplant surgery. This includes obtaining a thorough history and performing an appropriate physical examination and ordering appropriate testing with particular attention to transplant surgery related co-morbidities and post-operative complications. Monitoring compliance with diet, exercise, and behavior modifications and providing education about the risks and benefits of the surgical procedures is also expected.
- See and evaluate patients in the hospital, provide documentation, an assessment and care plan for the inpatient stay and discharge care planning.
- Evaluate and manage patients with urgent or emergent complaints in conjunction with the primary surgeon or fellow.
- Participate in clinic sponsored educational opportunities.
- Assist with discharge planning and work with transplant coordinators to create a smooth transition to outpatient care.
- Perform procedures such as intravenous catheter placement and assist in the operating room as needed.
- Triage patient telephone calls and provide consultation.
- Provide monitoring and continuity of care for patients between physician visits.
- Attend required meetings and participate in committees as requested.
- Maintain competency and enhance professional growth and development through continuing education, conferences, and seminars. Attend mandatory training.
- Participate in quality improvement activities; assist in maintaining compliance with JCAHO accreditation and other internal and external regulatory standards.
- Support and uphold established organizational policies, procedures, objectives related to quality improvement, safety, environmental and infection control.
- Participate in the application process and development of a Center of Excellence designation as required.
- Maintain patient confidentiality.
Proper education and licensing/certification for a Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant. Must be eligible for certification with independent prescriptive authority.
Transplant surgery experience is a plus.
Required Competencies/Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to effectively interact with a diverse professional and patient population.
- Knowledge of the professional medical and surgical practice to give and evaluate patient care in the area of transplant surgery.
- Knowledge of organizational policies, regulations and procedures to administer patient care.
- Knowledge of medical equipment and instruments to administer patient care.
- Knowledge of common safety hazards and precautions to establish a safe work environment.
- Skill in applying and modifying the principles, methods and techniques of medicine and surgery to provide on-going patient care.
- Skill in taking medical history, assessing medical condition and interpreting findings.
- Skill in preparing and maintaining records, writing reports, and responding to correspondence.
- Skill in developing and maintaining department quality assurance.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with patients and their family members, medical staff, residents, fellows, medical students, and the public.
- Ability to maintain quality control standards.
- Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
- Ability to interpret, adapt and apply guidelines and procedures.
- Ability to communicate clearly as an integral member of a team
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Review of applications will begin immediately, and will continue until the position is filled.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees. The University of Colorado Denver is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references)
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20345 - SOM-SRG-TS Clinical
Posting Date: Jan 8, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Jody Robertson
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00741916