Senior Systems Engineer - Open Source - Information Technology
Job no: 493943
Position Type: Staff Full Time
Benefit Status: Benefited-Union
Campus: UMass Lowell
Department: IT-Systems Engineering
Salary: Salary, $90,000 - $100,000, commensurate with experience and grade/range
Applications Open: Jan 09 2018
Applications Close: Open until filled
General Summary of Position:
The Senior Open Source Systems Engineer is a highly technical staff member in the Systems Engineering group in Information Technology. The Senior Open Source Systems Engineer is responsible for designing open source based computer information systems to meet the business needs of UMass Lowell's strategic academic and business operations.
The Senior Open Source Systems Engineer has a broad view of UMass Lowell's information technology platforms as well as knowledge of the business processes and drivers that impact those technical platforms. As a project coordinator and lead designer of multiple and highly complicated systems, the Senior Open Source Systems Engineer is responsible for design, documentation and consulting on the implementation of complex integrations between open source software and multi-vendor applications platforms.
Under the direction of the Manager of Systems Engineering, the Senior Open Source Systems Engineer is a technically advanced staff member responsible for the adoption and assimilation of both new technologies and integration and optimization of existing investments in information technology. They are integral in the overall services delivered to all internal and external users of UMass Lowell's IT infrastructure.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Bachelor's degree required
- Requires a minimum of 5 - 7 years of design experience in a large Information Technology environment, with progressively increasing responsibilities
- A strong commitment to providing excellent customer service and ensuring the success of our customers
- Architectural and operational mastery of Linux environments in excess of 100 servers (VM and physical)
- Excellent problem solving skills: the ability to comprehend complex technical issues and rapidly isolate and prioritize likely causation, and develop likely remediation
- Advanced proficiency with the LAMP stack
- Demonstrable mastery of core network technologies, including DHCP, DNS and WINS
- Demonstrable mastery of security processes and operations in a Linux-based environment
- The ability to work in a self-directed manner as well as with a technical team to achieve university business goals
- Previous hands-on production experience and deep understanding of virtualization and cloud environments
- Proficiency with storage networks, including low-level fibre storage network technologies
- Proficiency with scripting technologies such as Bash and Python
- Demonstrated mastery of industry best practices relating to secure computing and data security practices
- Advanced understanding of core web technologies such as Apache, MySQL and Tomcat
- The ability to explain complex technical concepts to non-technical users
- In-depth understanding of how disparate and multi-vendor systems can interoperate to achieve further information
- An industry-recognized certification such as RHCE is strongly preferred
- Previous experience with scripting or shell languages such as VBScript, PowerShell and Perl are desirable
- Experience with configuration management or automation technologies such as Vagrant, Chef, Ansible or Puppet is highly preferred
- Hands-on experience with VMware View VDI environments is strongly preferred
- Bachelor's degree in related discipline is preferred
- Previous experience in a higher education setting is preferred
- Previous experience integrating Linux or open source platforms with Microsoft Windows-based environments is preferred
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Only Internal Professional (SEIU 888 Professional Union) Bargaining candidates will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Initial review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
Please include a resume, cover letter and a writing sample of a design document that you have prepared that clearly explains a technical design you have personally developed and implemented in a previous or current role. Document should detail all design requirements and constraints as well as how they were achieved. Names and contact information of three references will be required at the time of application.
The University of Massachusetts Lowell is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action, Title IX employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age over 40, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or other protected class.