Assistant Director for Global Engagement - Illinois Abroad and Global Exchange (A1800158)
UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS AT URBANA-CHAMPAIGN
Illinois International Programs
Illinois Abroad and Global Exchange (IAGE)
Assistant Director for Global Engagement
12 month 100% position
Primary Position/Function Summary:
Play a key role in building relational equity, program development, and nurturing strategic relationships. Oversees diversity and student initiatives, marketing, and international agreements.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with affiliate programs and universities abroad to maintain close and cordial relations. Oversee the coordination of programs and services for student mobility and strategic partnerships, including management of international agreements.
- Advocate for quality engagements with local peoples and cultures for all students participating in educational activities abroad affiliated with the University of Illinois.
- Provide leadership for strategic outreach to campus partners, such as academic and student affairs units.
- In conjunction with colleges and academic units, create academically robust pathways to education abroad that meet the educational needs and goals of the student and the academic unit, facilitating departmental articulation of international course credit, development of targeted promotional materials, and other activities.
- Support the development and evaluative review of the IAGE program portfolio according to campus needs. In conjunction with the Director, manage annual portfolio reviews to insure adherence to best practices and peer standards.
- Guide program coordinators on matters pertaining to academic partnerships and portfolio development.
- Participate actively in associations and consortiums as opportunities arise, elevating the Illinois International brand in key professional circles.
- Oversee reciprocal exchange program maintenance.
- Oversee the development of diversity in study abroad initiatives and frameworks to support underrepresented students in study abroad.
- Travel within the US and internationally to represent the University as needed.
- Coordinate in the design, organization, and implementation of study abroad pre-departure and re-entry orientations. Development and measurement of learning outcomes, identify people and resources to contribute and add value to the overarching goals of study abroad workshops and orientations in collaboration with Illinois Abroad staff; design workshop activities that will underscore both preparation and re-entry phases of study abroad.
- Supervise academic professional and student employees including hiring, delegating, training, and evaluation.
- Respond to emergency situations abroad and coordinate that response within the broader university community, as necessary. Coordinate with faculty leaders and in-country study abroad providers to execute emergency management plans as incidents occur, taking into account all variables in quickly-developing urgent situations.
The position reports directly to the Director, IAGE who reports to the Executive Director for Administration and Management who reports to the Vice Provost for International Affairs and Global Strategies who reports to the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and Provost.
Position Requirements and Qualifications:
Required Education, Experience, Knowledge and Abilities:
• Bachelor degree.
• A minimum of 3 years administrative experience in an international office.
• 3 - 5 years supervisory/leadership experience.
• Experience as a participant, organizer, or instructor in study abroad programs.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Preferred Education, Experience, Knowledge and Abilities:
• Master degree.
• Proficiency in a second language.
• Demonstrated interest in student learning and development in cross-cultural settings.
Salary: Salary will commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Starting Date: As soon as possible after the close date.
In order to ensure full consideration, please complete your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a letter of interest, resume, and contact information for three references by 03/30/2018. Applicants are encouraged to specifically relate their backgrounds and experience to the requirements of the position as outlined above.
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
507 E. Green St, Suite 401, MC-417
Champaign, IL 61820
email: [email protected]
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Illinois International Programs
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Assistant Director for Global Engagement - Illinois Abroad and Global Exchange (A1800158)
Open Date: 03/09/2018
Close Date: 03/30/2018
Organization Name: Program Admin