Program Manager- Event Services, Illini Union
~~Program Manager - Event Services
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Illini Union at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is seeking a talented student affairs professional to serve as a Program Manager for the Event Services Department. Founded in 1867, the Illinois campus is one of the original 37 public land-grant institutions. It is one of the top comprehensive research public universities in the nation. The successful candidate will be working on a campus with academically talented and diverse student population, including 19 percent international students, 12 percent Asian American students, 5 percent African American students, and 6 percent Hispanic/Latino students from a total enrollment over 42,000 students. As the community center of the University, the Illini Union draws together all members of the University with approximately 16,000 visits of students, faculty, staff, alumni, and guests on a daily basis.
Position Functions and Major Responsibilities:
- Reporting to the Assistant Director of Operations, the Program Manager is responsible for the coordination, operation, and evaluation of the Event Services Office and the event planning process for the Illini Union Facilities.
- Responsible for managerial oversight of reservation data input. Acts as a liaison between the client and Illini Union services. Assesses the goals of events and determines the appropriate resources required based on departmental and client needs.
- Manages Events Services Office operations and staff. This includes hiring, training, coaching, and supervising to ensure high quality of services to the internal/external clients of the Illini Union.
- Develops and implements event management policies and procedures in order to ensure quality service and provide efficient and effective distribution of information to staff and clients.
- Serves as team lead to develop and implement software resources (including but not limited to: Event Management Systems (EMS) and Social Tables) to support the mission of the Event Services Office.
- Department lead in development of strategic marketing campaigns and promotional materials while providing oversight of pricing structures to maximize facility usage.
- Reviews and produces cost and revenue estimates (internal and external) for the Event Services Office. Prepares budgetary recommendations, and monitors invoices by closely interacting with Accounting Office. Is responsible for fiduciary management of unit to include the generation of billable communications.
- As the lead Event Services liaison for the Illini Union, this position is responsible for the pairing of appropriate facility resources with internal and external campus entities. Works closely with Marketing, Hotel, Catering, Building Supervisors, Facilities, and Maintenance departments.
- Oversees the preparation of event schedules and provides detailed descriptions of the physical room set-ups for the Building Service team. Coordinates client service needs with the Multimedia Department, Catering, Building Engineers, and other units in the Illini Union.
- Responsible ensuring adherence to building and reservation policies and procedures in alignment with University policy and procedures and the Illini Union Policy and Procedures Manual.
- Performs related duties as assigned to further the mission of the unit.
Required Qualifications: Bachelor's degree is required. Four years of event management experience in a conference facility, hotel, convention center, student union, or a similar environment is required. A minimum of two years supervisory experience is required, with preference given to candidates who have experience supervising both professional staff and student staff.
Extensive knowledge of principles of event organization and conference planning is required. Excellent communication and customer service skills is required. Strong organizational skills and attention to detail is required. Strong computer skills with ability to oversee the functioning of computer software and databases is required. Ability to work with diverse faculty, staff, students and others is required. Ability to work effectively under the pressure of a variety of deadlines and obligations is required.
Preferred Qualifications: Master's degree is preferred.
Appointment Status: This is a 12-month, full-time academic professional position.
Salary: Commensurate with experience and includes an excellent benefits package.
Proposed Starting Date: As soon as possible.
Application Deadline: March 2, 2018
Application Procedures: All candidates must complete an online application at http://jobs.illinois.edu prior to the application deadline for full consideration. Qualified candidates must upload a letter of application, resume, and contact information (name, address, telephone number, and email address) for three current professional references. Official transcripts will be required for all finalists. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
For additional information regarding the application procedures, please contact:
Human Resources and Administrative Shared Services
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Illini Union
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Program Manager- Event Services, Illini Union
Open Date: 02/09/2018
Close Date: 03/02/2018
Organization Name: Illini Union-Oper