Assistant Director of Software Development
The Office of Data Analytics welcomes applications for an Assistant Director of Software Development. The Assistant Director of Software Development has primary accountability for three functions: supervision of the reporting & analytics development and architecture group and ownership of R&A's development processes and tools, day-to-day delivery, support, and continual improvement of key R&A developed and maintained products, such as the data lake, the BI implementation and analytics as a service offerings, and definition and delivery of application & integration development and support as a service.
This position acts on behalf of the director by running the software development program. This position supervises a team responsible for developing and supporting data analytics products which are necessary for key university functions. The Assistant Director of Software Development has authority to make day-to-day decisions regarding the implementation, on-going development, and support of these systems, and is responsible for initiating, prioritizing, and managing work and projects necessary to deliver on agreed upon commitments to clients and partners of Reporting & Analytics.
Who we are:
Do you want to be a part of a startup group within the University of Colorado Boulder? Do you have a strong desire to tell compelling stories with data? Do you want to work in a team where experimentation and innovation are key aspects of your day and your work benefits students and the mission of the university?
The Office of Data Analytics (ODA) is a fast-paced and innovative group that is transforming data into actionable intelligence for the entire CU Boulder campus. By leading the design and development of powerful products, such as data lakes, custom BI applications, and predictive analytics, ODA creates decision support systems for administrative and faculty use throughout the campus.
What your key responsibilities will be:
Direct R&A's Development Function
- Supervise and lead team of developers, integrators, and architects who specify and develop software applications and system logic that meet defined requirements.
- Establish and continually improve processes for development, testing, release management, code management, creating and maintaining technical specifications, and other key processes related to software development and integration.
- Supervise a team of developers to effectively deliver products. This includes setting performance objectives and evaluating performance against them, creating appropriate job descriptions, making staffing decisions, and performing day-to-day supervisory activities (leave approval, work prioritization, etc.).
Professional Development and Currency
- Maintain proficiency, certifications, and acquire knowledge on development and architecture processes and best practices regarding delivering development services to a university campus by reading trade journals, attending conferences, seminars and classes, participating in discussions with colleagues and peer institutions.
What we can offer:
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be curious. Be effective. Be innovative. Be Boulder.
What we require:
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited institution.
- Five years of progressively responsible experience managing/directing software development projects and/or teams including two years of experience with object oriented and functional programming and big data.
- A combination of education and experience may be substituted for the degree on a year-for-year basis.
What you will need:
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal and communication skills, particularly strong customer skills interacting with key stakeholders.
What we'd like you to have:
- Advanced skills in one or more of the following: python, scala and big data frameworks like Spark and Kafka.
- Five years of experience as a project or program director/manager over large-scale, multi-year projects.
- Five years of experience with multiple software development environments/platforms.
- Experience in higher education including demonstrated knowledge of higher education organization structure and business practices and the associated systems and platforms (Student information systems, academic advising, student recruitment).
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Please apply by February 19, 2018.
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at [email protected]. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: Last-First-12514.
Please do not upload references at this time.
Job Category: Information Technology
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10004 - Office of Data Analytics
Posting Date: Feb 5, 2018
Closing Date: Feb 19, 2018, 11:59:00 PM
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00743309