CIRES/NSIDC Data Operations Lead
CIRES/NSIDC Professional Research Assistant: Data Operations Analyst
The National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC), http://nsidc.org , part of the Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES) at the University of Colorado Boulder, serves as a national information and referral center in support of snow and ice research. NSIDC is a trusted source of cryospheric data and services, and is a leader in research and development within this field.
NSIDC seeks a new member for the Data Operations team to manage and support NSIDC's archive of satellite, aircraft, and ground data. The team operates multiple data management systems including the NASA EOSDIS Core System (ECS) - an end-to-end automated system for archival and distribution of a broad range of NASA science data products. Additionally, Operations is responsible for NSIDC's custom software systems and works closely with development teams to provide input on system organization and evolution.
• Manage existing NSIDC's data systems, including the EOSDIS Core System (ECS), EOSDIS cloud data management system (Cumulus), and other custom software stacks.
• Manage the centralized data storage system and backups including disk space planning and management, monitoring daily backups, and periodic maintenance.
• Support performance tuning and recommend system improvements.
• Troubleshoot and resolve performance and production issues.
• Develop scripts to extend or enhance the automation of operational processes.
• Participate in development activities including providing input on data management practices, required features for operational maintenance, and known use cases.
• Define, implement, and monitor ingest/archive/distribution processes.
• Perform migration of scientific data between data management systems.
• Organize and achieve coordinated data system objectives while working with various data center departments.
Duties may also include one or more of the following:
• Author and implement system documentation and operational procedures.
• Perform data processing, ensuring accuracy and quality of science data and developing processes as required.
• Lead data management activities including implementing data access policies, managing archival metadata inventories, and overseeing data migration activities.
• Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer information systems, or related discipline.
• Ability to learn new systems quickly in an on-the-job environment.
• Experience communicating with a broad stratum of technical and non-technical audiences.
• Ability to work collaboratively in a DevOps team environment supporting a variety of data center staff.
• Ability to work on highly efficient, cross-functional, teams and effectively represent technical needs in that context.
• Ability to handle multiple assigned tasks, prioritize them, and execute them efficiently.
• Experience providing basic system administration for Linux, Windows, and OSX.
• Experience with Perl, python, or shell scripting, C programming, or equivalent.
• Ability to creatively problem solve - to break down system level problems into tasks, organize them, and work them through to completion.
• Data management experience with digital data archives of remote sensing or climate data.
• Understanding of how operational systems run, including monitoring, troubleshooting, and system impact dependence.
• Knowledge of version control systems (such as git), continuous integration (such as CircleCI, Jenkins, or Bamboo), and delivery.
• Experience with virtual machines, including use of vagrant, puppet, docker, and other related tools.
• Experience with cloud technologies, including Amazon Web Services deployment and troubleshooting.
Special Instructions to Applicants:The University of Colorado Boulder conducts background checks on all final applicants being considered for employment, prior to the issuance of an offer letter. The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To achieve this goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and an EPLS (Excluded Parties List System) check. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work.
The University of Colorado is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, the University of Colorado does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation or political philosophy in its programs or activities, including employment, admissions, and educational programs. Inquiries may be directed to the Boulder Campus Title IX Coordinator by calling 303-492-2127. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, alternative formats of this ad can be provided upon request for individuals with disabilities by contacting Human Resources at email@example.com.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, Reference Letters (Not Confidential), Unofficial transcript(s)
Application Materials Instructions:Applicants must complete the Faculty/University Staff and EEO Data (application) form, and upload the following required documents: 1 - Cover Letter; 2 - CV; 3 - The document uploaded for Proof of Degree can be a Transcript which shows the date the degree was conferred; Copy of Diploma; or official letter from the Registrar or the Dean of the School or College conferring the degree; 4 -A non-confidential letter of reference This position is eligible for medical, dental and life insurance, retirement benefits programs, and is eligible for monthly vacation and sick leave accruals.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10080 - Coop Inst Res/Envrm Sci - Dir
Posting Date: Mar 9, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: karen dempsey
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00744274