University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Department of Medicine, Division of Hematology
Position # 00003437 - Requisition 12808
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The Division of Hematology has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Budget Specialist position.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
Nature of Work
The Budget/Finance Specialist is a member of the Hematology Clinical Trials Unit responsible for the development, negotiation and finalization of budgets and contracts for clinical trials and serves as a finance liaison for finance interactions between UCH, UPI and the Office of Grants and Contracts. In addition to working closely with University personnel, this position also communicates regularly with pharmaceutical company representatives. Specifically this position will have oversight of all industry sponsored clinical trials (both pre and post award).
Examples of Work Performed
- Provides budgetary protocol review and approval for Protocol Review and Monitoring Committee to ensure clinical research costs are covered.
- Draft, negotiates and finalizes all industry sponsored protocol budgets.
- Tracks, by sponsor, all sponsor communication for reference for future budget design and negotiation.
- Works with principle investigators in the development and implementation of research protocol in regards to the budgeting process for investigator initiated protocols.
- Interacts with principal investigators, hospital and clinic staff to ensure accurate and timely budget quotes.
- Works closely with Regulatory Affairs Coordinator in regard to protocols (e.g. addition of investigators, amendments, serious adverse events, consent form changes, monitoring visits, correspondence, continuing review and study termination reports) to ensure quality study flow and that all governing regulations are being adhered to.
- Works closely with the principle investigator and clinical team to review Medicare coverage and create a prospective reimbursement analysis.
- Relays timely information to Research Manager Research Medical Director, and Division Administrator in regards to budget and/or contract (e.g. addition of CRC responsibilities necessitating budget changes; inadequate sponsor budget in relation to clinical trial costs, etc.) to ensure quality study flow and accurate budgeting.
- Collaborates with Hospital Research Review Committee chair and hospital staff, as necessary to ensure tests and procedures required by clinical protocols are budgeted for accurately (i.e.correct SIMM/CPT codes and quoted bid prices are used in the budget and that all applicable fees are included with each specific procedure).
- Orients new hires to the budgeting process and CRC role in the budgeting process.
- Works closely with Clinical Research Database and QA manager to ensure finalized budgets and or budget amendments are entered into financial database on a timely basis and assists with database budget maintenance.
- Serves as a contact person for ongoing clinical research studies and meets with representatives from sponsoring pharmaceutical firms or in-house staff for initial orientation to studies and for review of study records.
- Reconcile patient enrollment earnings to sponsor revenues received.
- Invoice sponsors for patient care reimbursement and patient accrual as mandated in contract.
- Investigate and reconcile deficit balances and collect past due accounts.
- Process all research patient care charges received from the UCH RSS team with payment requests and/or vouchers for all internal and external invoices presented to the team for clinical protocol activity.
- Prepare accurate financial documents for all assigned accounts.
- Reconcile all assigned financial statements using m-Fin reporting tool.
- Review general ledger reports for misappropriated expenses billed to clinical trial accounts.
- Manage patient care bill processing and bill dispute resolution.
- Create and maintain patient billing reports.
- Prepare journal entries to distribute trial funds per the clinical trial budget.
- Follow University fiscal policy and provide all necessary documentation to the Office of Grants and Contracts to inactivate closed clinical trial projects.
- Works closely with Research Manager and Budget Specialist to ensure all budget amendments are entered into OnCore on a timely basis and assist with database budget maintenance.
This description is a summary only and is describing the general level of work being performed, it is not intended to be all-inclusive. The duties of this position may change from time to time and/or based on business need. We reserve the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of the supervisor and/or hiring authority.
Salary and Benefits
The hiring salary for this position is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- Bachelor's degree in field related to business, finance or accounting.
- At least three (3) years of experience in accounting or financial management.
- Experience working with grants, contracts, sponsored projects and/or clinical trials in an academic/research medical campus.
- At least two years of experience at an academic institution.
- 3 years of experience with clinical trial budget negotiation process.
- 3 years of experience with PeopleSoft and Cognos
- CRA Certification
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Strong accounting and fiscal management skills including but not limited to grants and contracts, gift accounts and purchasing of lab equipment and management of lab equipment contracts.
- Advanced Excel skills to develop custom user-friendly reports for faculty for monthly fiscal reviews.
- Decision making skills on how to resolve financial issues that arise, related to compliance, deficits and new processes.
- Knowledge of the HRMS and PS financial systems.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, strong work ethic and positive problem solving attitude.
- Strong interpersonal and human relations skills.
- Ability to work independently, identify and set priorities, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced work environment.
- Knowledge of University financial applications including m-Fin and CU Marketplace.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers * REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A cover letter/letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2) A current resume/CV. 3) List of 3-5 professional references. Questions should be directed to Lynette Brandon at firstname.lastname@example.org
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLIATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Research Services
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20164 - SOM-MED-BoneMarrow Transplant
Posting Date: Mar 9, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Lynette Brandon
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00003437