*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.*
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine, Department of Surgery
Division Manager (two positions open), Business Services Program Director
Pediatric Surgery and Plastics and Reconstructive Surgery
Position #741064 - Requisition 11933
The Department of Surgery has two openings for two full-time, University Staff (unclassified) division Manager positions in the Division of Pediatric Surgery and the Division of Plastics and Reconstructive Surgery.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
The Division Managers manage and coordinate policies and procedures related to finance and accounting, human resources, faculty affairs, and department operations in the Department of Surgery, in the Divisions of Pediatric Surgery and Plastics and Reconstructive Surgery. This position also supports and collaborates with the Division Head and other key stakeholders to develop and implement strategy and program development. Working under the direction and guidance of the Director of Finance & Administration, the Manager represents the Division within the Department and the School of Medicine, Children's Hospital Colorado (CHCO)(Pediatric Surgery), University of Colorado Hospital (Plastics and Reconstructive Surgery), Anschutz Medical Campus and the University of Colorado, providing essential communication and networking for the effective functioning of these entities.
Under the authority of the Director of Finance & Administration, this role supervises support staff who have responsibility for human resources and finance functions; provides administrative management support for Professional Research Assistants/Post-Doc Fellows/Research Associates/Program Assistants who report directly to faculty; and provides supervisory functions in multiple personnel systems including state, CU Medicine, UCH and CHCO.
Examples of Work Performed: Specific duties and responsibilities of the Division Manager may include, but are not limited to, the following:
Financial Management: All financial management activities are under the direction of the Director of Finance & Administration who has overall responsibility for divisional and departmental funds, serves as the Fund Administrator and overall approving official. Within these parameters, the Division Manager:
- Manages all funds of the Division including State, UCD gift and endowment funds, grants and contracts funds and clinical funds. Also manages the financial aspects of operations and staffing, faculty recruitment, investment analysis and other short and long term planning functions. Volume of money management is anticipated to be $7.7M (net payments) and $26.3M (charges) in physician revenues and other funds in research grants, contracts, gifts and other endowments.
- Manages faculty practice plan and clinical revenues for the Division.
- Prepares budgets, controls and monitors revenue and expenditure activity for each source of funds. Budgeting financial management occurs in multiple fiscal systems including the state, CU Medicine and multiple hospitals and other entities, including CHCO.
- Utilizes standard University and department systems for accounting, data processing and other computer systems as necessary for financial management and statistical reporting.
- Prepares faculty salary data and sources of funds for annual salary recommendation process and responds to requests from the Director of Finance & Administration for fiscal budgetary information.
- Monitors physician services billing and collection activity where appropriate, and coordinates all related activity with the Revenue Cycle Manager for Surgery.
- Administers the flow of administrative, financial and workload statistical data and reporting for the division.
- Administers pertinent State, CU & UCD fiscal policies, rules and procedures, and applicable State and Federal laws and standards applying to business management (personnel, accounting, auditing, etc.).
- Administers pertinent practice plan or CU Medicine fiscal policies, including complex federal and other regulations governing physician practices, patient care and billing and collection (as well as personnel, accounting, auditing, etc.).
- Coordinates fiscal policies related to faculty needs and practice site locations including policies and rules for CHCO, UCH, Memorial/Briargate, and others.
- Serves as a member of the Department Manager Committee and represents the division on task forces and committees as requested by the Director of Finance & Administration and the Division Head.
- Attends divisional meetings, faculty meetings, chief's meetings, department manager meetings, and may be the coordinator of divisional faculty and staff or other meetings.
- Coordinates the appointment, re-appointment, promotion and tenure activities for faculty and affiliate faculty in the Division..
- Monitors along with the Director of Education in the Department of Surgery educational programs) with respect to finances, administration and resource management.
- Coordinates all appointment, re-appointment, promotion, and tenure activities for all affiliate faculty.
- Coordinates personnel matters for the Division, including position establishment, recruitment, affirmative action, hiring and supervision of staff, performance planning and appraisal, and termination processes. Performs these functions for divisional faculty, house staff and trainees, fellows, state classified or exempt professional staff, student workers, and CU Medicine staff.
- Processes a variety of personnel forms in multiple personnel systems and conducts required processes in PeopleSoft or other systems. Maintains appropriate personnel records (e.g. vacation, sick leave, grievances, audits). Monitors the performance evaluation activities for all support staff to include implementation and maintenance of the performance planning/appraisal program.
- Facilitates the resolution of problems that arise between patients, support staff, physicians and other departments.
- Facilitates and promotes staff development and training classes, and provides orientation to faculty and staff as needed.
- Prepares reports for the Department or others as requested to satisfy needs such as ACGME studies, program reviews, retreats, audits, annual reports, board reports or other.
- Leads and/or oversees process improvement projects within the Division to support efficiency in operations and business processes.
- Oversees administrative, research and educational programs. Support operational procedures and coordinate implementation of new initiatives.
- Co-Chairs Division meetings with the Division Head.
- Oversees Division communication that highlights happenings, important updates, and other information.
- Oversees Division facilities, both on and off campus, to ensure efficiency of operations. Participates in construction and/or remodeling activities and space and equipment inventory to assist in the long-range planning of facilities.
- May be responsible for space acquisition, leases or other contractual arrangements for clinical or research space needs.
Program Development/ Planning:
- Fosters and promotes financial growth and health of the Division through the development of new and expanded funding sources and opportunities. Actively seeks business opportunities for faculty clinical practices, develops ventures and collaborations, engages in real estate leases, prepares agreements and contracts, seeks legal review, and performs other tasks essential to clinical business entrepreneurship and development.
- Coordinates multi-disciplinary program development with Department and hospital administration for creation and implementation of programs, including Advanced Practice Provider recruitment, development of marketing and outreach, establishment of programs in the Ambulatory setting, and analysis of clinical and surgical volumes, charges, revenue, and financial data.
- Prepares business plans for new programs, contracts, joint ventures, physician networks.
- Serves as Public Relations liaison for constituents.
- Coordinates conferences, CME and public relations events.
- Participates in planning activities for the Division, including long range and short range planning. Shares responsibility for projection of programs, patient/client census, revenues and expenses, personnel needs and facility needs.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.jobsatcu.com/hr/postings/true.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in business/public/health administration, accounting, finance or closely related.
- Three (3) years of experience in a manager/leadership role in an academic, healthcare, or closely related environment.
- Experience leading an organization in an operational and strategic capacity.
- Three (3) years of experience managing multiple personnel, which included hiring and performing evaluations of staff.
Substitution: A combination of education and related technical/paraprofessional experience may be substituted for the bachelor's degree on a year for year basis, but not for the required experience.
- A master's degree from an accredited college or university in business/public/health administration, accounting, finance or closely related.
- Experience managing all aspects of a complex organization, including (but not limited to) operations, finance and Human Resources.
- Experience working within a complex organization with many competing demands and priorities.
Competencies/Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of and ability to apply, diversified financial management skills.
- Ability to manage funds effectively, from a variety of sources.
- Ability to communicate effectively in brief, focused and well-organized oral and written presentations.
- Ability to establish work priorities and provide follow through, to insure completion of activities, both personally and in subordinates.
- Ability to plan and organize, implement and coordinate financial and administrative activities, as they apply to the complex workings of the Division.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Required Application Materials: To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references) Questions should be directed to: Jonathan Radin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Application Deadline: Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Review of applications will begin immediately, and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Business Services
Primary Location: Denver
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20324 - SOM-SRG-PEDS Clinical
Posting Date: Nov 30, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Jonathan Radin
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00741064