HUMAN RESOURCES DIRECTOR FOR COOPERATIVE EXTENSION
JOB NO.: 93845-AS
Work Type: Staff-Full Time
Department: G SERV/HUMAN RES/ASST V CHAN
Categories: Human Resources, Payroll, Management/Supervisory
Employment Class: Academic Staff-Renewable
Position Vacancy ID: 93845-AS
Working Title: Human Resources Director for Cooperative Extension
Official Title: DIR. HUMAN RESOURCES/M(L54DM)
Hiring Department: A022010-GENERAL SERVICES/OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES/ASST V CHAN
Anticipated Begin Date: MAY 01, 2018
Term: This is a renewable appointment.
ANNUAL (12 months)
Degree and Area of Specialization:
Bachelor's degree required (degree in human resource or related field preferred).
Minimum number of years and type of relevant work experience:
Minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience is required. Experience supervising other HR staff is preferred.
Knowledge and Skills
1. Knowledge and experience in long-term planning/project management for a complex human resources program. Ability to develop recommend and implement administrative policies and procedures and evaluate effectiveness.
2. Knowledge and experience in human resources recruitment, hiring and retention of employees.
3. Knowledge and experience in titling and compensation for a wide variety of employees.
4. Knowledge of UW related Statutes, Administrative Code, Regent Policy Documents and other personnel and payroll related policies and procedures.
5. Ability to exercise sound judgment and discretion in developing, applying and interpreting policies and procedures.
6. Knowledge of Federal, State and University regulations regarding the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), Family or Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Worker's Compensation, Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action (EEO/AA), Americans with Disabilities (ADA), IRCA, Sexual Harassment and other human resources related laws.
7. Ability to administer programs and policies for an organization with a diverse work force.
8. Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to maintain effective relationships with managers and staff, campus offices and the public.
9. Knowledge and experience in labor relations, contract interpretation and varied legal forums.
10. Effective supervisory methods and techniques, including selection, training, performance, and discipline.
11. Experienced ability with new and evolving timekeeping, databases and other HRIS systems.
License or certificate:
This position is responsible for leadership, management and evaluation of a comprehensive human resources program for employees of Cooperative Extension as it transitions to the University of Wisconsin-Madison, and continuing thereafter to serve the interests of the new Division. The human resources responsibilities will involve serving operations and the new programmatic structure, including the Institutes of Agriculture; Natural Resources; Community Development; Health & Well-Being; Human Development & Relationships; and Positive Youth Development.
The incumbent of this position will report to the Dean of the Cooperative Extension Division and the UW-Madison Office of Human Resources until Cooperative Extension is completely transitioned to UW-Madison (anticipated by July 2019). At that time, the incumbent will report exclusively to the Associate Dean of Operations and Policy in the Cooperative Extension Division.
In addition to a strong knowledge base in human resources, this position has three critical roles to fulfill.
Change Agent. The individual in this position will be leading and facilitating many changes within Cooperative Extension. The incumbent is responsible for project management and execution of all the HR transition aspects involved with Cooperative Extension's transition to UW-Madison. Change management knowledge and skills are essential to engage stakeholders throughout the divisions to ensure an effective and efficient transition. The incumbent is responsible for project management to ensure change, including both technological and process change, is properly managed. In addition, facilitates change in a manner that fosters an environment in which staff and various units may experiment with different ways of doing things. This principle is important, as Cooperative Extension will modify a variety of administrative and procedural activities to acclimate to UW-Madison structure, and UW-Madison may selectively do the same.
Leadership. The incumbent supervises and provides leadership to the staff of Cooperative Extension in achieving goals consistent with the program's strategic vision. A collaborative style of leadership establishes a clear direction to achieve desired goals and motivate individuals to succeed within their specific functions.
Business Partner. The Coop Extension HR Director will act as a business partner with other management within UW-Madison and HR representatives of other divisions to find solutions to problems, work on proactive strategies, and be consistent in applying University polices. If a proposed strategy is not feasible, due to a variety of constraints, it is the expectation that the incumbent will look at all sides of the issue and find creative ways to achieve a desirable outcome.
Instructions to applicants:
To apply for this position you should include updated cover letter and resume (uploaded documents in PDF are preferred). Your cover letter must describe your relevant qualifications for the position.
THIS IS AN INTERNAL POSTING AVAILABLE TO CURRENT UW SYSTEM WIDE EMPLOYEES ONLY. APPLICATIONS EXTERNAL TO UW SYSTEM WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
Additional Link: Full Position Details
NOTE: A Period of Evaluation will be Required
The University of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report contains current campus safety and disciplinary policies, crime statistics for the previous 3 calendar years, and on-campus student housing fire safety policies and fire statistics for the previous 3 calendar years. UW-Madison will provide a paper copy upon request; please contact the University of Wisconsin Police Department.
Advertised: Mar 9 2018 Central Standard Time
Application Close: Mar 19 2018 11:55 PM Central Daylight Time