Social Media Specialist
Requisition # 2018-8557
Category Communications and Public Relations
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
The Social Media Specialist is the primary producer of content for Princeton University's main social media channels and plays a leading role in executing University-wide efforts on social media. Princeton University is committed to the ideal of working in the service of the nation and humanity, and this position will be directly involved in the communications efforts that support that vision. The Social Media Specialist reports to the Digital Manager and works closely with the Social Media Strategist. This position requires occasional night, weekend and holiday duty depending on the demands of the academic year.
The specialist will:
- Edit, create and post written and visual content on Princeton's main social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat and LinkedIn) using the established University voice
- Contribute content to the University's main website, www.princeton.edu
- Collaborate with colleagues around the University to promote their content on social media
- Work with the Social Media Strategist on editorial calendar as well as promote University social media policies and best practices
- Work with the team to identify and engage in new, creative efforts to help tell the university's story
- Monitor social media communities and respond accordingly
- Hold a bachelor's degree and have a minimum five years of experience in content-producing roles with at least three years of full-time professional social media experience developing and producing written, photographic and video content
- Be an organized and detail-oriented communicator who shows sound news judgement, can set priorities, project manage, multi-task, solve problems, and adapt to rapidly changing circumstances
- Have outstanding writing, photography and video skills, be able to edit photos and video for social media, and work well with editors
- Be able to convey the institutional "voice" on each platform
- Be able to tell complex stories within the limits of social media, whether in text, pictures or video
- Be able to meet tight deadlines
- Exhibit a strong desire to serve the needs of a fast-paced communications office within a higher-education setting
- Exhibit a track record for creatively leveraging social media to tell diverse stories
- Work collaboratively and independently, and work with diverse groups of people, including college students and faculty members
- Have a broad understanding of the major social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Instagram Stories, Snapchat and LinkedIn
- Experience in an enterprise-level social media, public relations, news media, or communications organization
- Experience covering events live including producing Facebook Live or other streaming content
- Strong portfolio of photography and videography, demonstrating the ability to shoot, select, edit and post quickly to social media channels.
- Experience in tactfully and quickly responding to public comments and queries on social media channels
- Experience with social media content management system such as Hootsuite, Sprout, etc.
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to work collaboratively and with creative teams.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Go to our careers site.