MAJOR GIFTS OFFICER/SR MAJOR GIFTS OFFICER, DESIGN
Duties: PennDesign prepares students to address complex sociocultural and environmental issues through thoughtful inquiry, creative expression, and innovation. As a diverse community of scholars and practitioners, we are committed to advancing the public good-both locally and globally-through art, design, planning, and preservation.
The Kleinman's Center's mission is to create the conditions for policy innovation that support a just and efficient transition to sustainable energy. For more information please visit https://kleinmanenergy.upenn.edu/
Reporting to the Assistant Dean for Development and Alumni Relations, the Major Gifts Officer/Senior Major Gifts Officer is a highly visible role within the Development and Alumni Relations team at the School of Design, and will play an important role in helping to further develop and implement a strategic, growth-oriented fundraising program for PennDesign.
Penn Design is in the midst of launching a major multi-million dollar comprehensive campaign designed to promote and support the school's most critical needs and priorities, including fellowships, programs, research and capital projects. This role is newly formed and promises to play a key role in supporting the campaign while at the same time helping to shape the future of major initiatives related to overarching university priorities.
The Major Gifts Officer/Senior Major Gifts Officer will be charged with developing and managing a prospect pool of high-capacity individuals as well as forming and sustaining relationships with key corporate and foundation donors. In addition, the individual will work on framing strategic initiatives and broad outreach strategies as well as potentially managing volunteer leadership in partnership with the Assistant Dean. This role also will be engaged in representing and traveling with the Dean of the School and department/center leaders when appropriate and will have high level interaction with Principal Gift, Planned Giving, and Major Gift Officers within the University's Central Development Offices.
Major Gift Portfolio
* Conduct between 12-15 visits per month from an assigned donor pool. Identify individuals (alumni and partners) who can make leadership gifts to support the School's Capital Campaign priorities, with a special focus on the Kleinman Center for Energy Policy and Penn Praxis.
* Conduct research and pursue creative prospecting strategies to expand the pool of potential donors to PennDesign from the school's own alumni base, from Penn's overall base of university alumni and from the broader community of non-affiliated individuals or institutions with a potential interest in PennDesign's work and priorities.
* Collaborate with the Chairs of Departments and other faculty members in moving potential donors through the pipeline and closing gifts to benefit their departments.
* Write proposals and gift agreements and coordinate efforts for stewardship and further engagement while working closely with the Assistant Director, Communications and Stewardships.
* Assist in planning regional programming and closing leadership gifts for the annual fund with the Associate Director, Annual Fund and Alumni Relations.
Centers of Excellence
As part of his/her portfolio, the Major Gifts Officer/Senior Major Gifts Officer will dedicate a percentage of his/her time specifically to further developing funding support for the Kleinman Center for Energy Policy and PennPraxis. With that in mind the individual will:
* Implement a sustainable fundraising program for the Kleinman Center which would potentially incorporate gifts from corporations, foundations, and individuals for annual and capital initiatives.
* Work closely with current Kleinman staff members as well as donors in identifying funding opportunities, and be a part of the team which implements the next chapter for the Center.
* With relation to Penn Praxis, the individual will support their fundraising objectives and provide guidance and advice on ways to move their programs forward through philanthropy.
* Represent the Development Office by attending Kleinman Center and Penn Praxis events and activities.
* Engage with existing and potential donors and volunteer leaders to help manage and deepen their involvement with these priorities.
* Build partnership across a wide variety of stakeholders within central development and create strategies to identify new donors while maximizing their giving potential.
Qualifications: BA/BS in English, Journalism, Communications or related field; 3-5 years experience (Major Gifts Officer grade level) or 5-7 years of experience (Senior Major Gifts Office grade level) in development, alumni relations, communications and/or public relations in higher ed. environment preferred; experience working with academic partners and/or experience with volunteer management also preferred; excellent organizational skills; excellent verbal and written communication skills; attention to detail; ability to manage multiple projects under time demands; strong understanding of relationship database systems and procedures; Ability to travel within the US and work events and weekends as needed. Valid driver's license required.
Reference Number: 90-28159
Salary Grade: 027/028
Employment Type: Exempt
Org: Design in DAR
Special Requirements: Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
Job Family: F-Development/Fundraising/Marketing