Senior Computational Biologist
Job ID: 43115
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Apply On Or Before: 03/15/2018
Center for Genomics and Personalized Medicine (CGPM)
• Demonstrate the ability to process, analyze, and explore diverse types of genomic data, including RNA-seq, ChIP-seq, and whole-genome sequencing.
• Implement and learn data analysis pipelines and methods independently.
• Consult on experimental design of sequencing data generation.
• Make intellectual contributions to manuscripts and grant proposals.
• Communicate and collaborate on multiple projects simultaneously.
• Present analysis and results in departmental meetings, symposia, and conferences.
• Periodically train individuals and groups (workshops) in data analysis pipelines.
• Some administrative duties, such as processing applications for services, time-tracking, reporting, and billing.
• PhD in biology, molecular biology, computational biology, or related field.
• Extensive, demonstrated experience in at least one scripting language (such as R/Bash/Python/Perl).
• Strong interest in working and integrating multiple types of genomic data.
• Extensive experience in the processing and exploratory analysis of sequencing data.
• Excellent skills in speaking and writing English.
• Must be organized, possess excellent time-management skills, and be able to multitask effectively.
• Experience in molecular biology and the generation of Illumina sequencing data is preferred.
• Experience in algorithm development is a plus.
The Florida State University (FSU) Center for Genomics and Personalized Medicine (CGPM) aims to enable genomics-based research by providing data analysis services, consulting, and training.
The CGPM’s primary goal is to provide data analysis services to FSU researchers using both standard data analysis workflows and custom data analysis activities.
For further information on this position, please contact Dave Gilbert at [email protected]
This is a Faculty position.
Soft Money Funded Position
This is a soft money funded position, with renewal based on available funds and the needs of the University.
Criminal Background Check
This position requires successful completion of a criminal history background check, to include fingerprinting. The background check will be conducted as authorized and in accordance with University Policy 4-OP-C-7-B11.
How To Apply
If qualified and interested in a specific Faculty job opening as advertised, apply to Florida State University at https://jobs.fsu.edu. If you are a current FSU employee, apply via myFSU > Self Service. Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable information. Applications must include education details even if attaching a Vita.
Request Letters of Reference
This position requires that you have three confidential professional letters of recommendation submitted on your behalf. Follow the steps below to request these letters through our system:
1) After submitting your application, click the Return to Job Search link;
2) Click the My References link;
3) Click the Send/View Reference Request button next to the appropriate position; and
4) Follow the steps on that page to send your references a system generated email requesting they submit a letter of recommendation on your behalf.
You may also return to the My References link and click on "Send/View Reference Request" to see if your references have responded, add additional references, or resend requests.
Tobacco Free Campus
Effective January 1, 2014, tobacco use, including simulated tobacco use, is prohibited on property, interior and exterior, owned or managed by Florida State University. This policy applies to all Florida State University students, employees, consultants, contractors, visitors, and external individuals.
Equal Employment Opportunity
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer. FSU's Equal Opportunity Statement can be viewed at: http://www.hr.fsu.edu/PDF/Publications/diversity/EEO_Statement.pdf