Coordinator for Academic Strategies and Tutoring
Job Title: Coordinator for Academic Strategies and Tutoring
Job ID: 24487
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 3086
Department: Housing Coordination
About the Position
As an integral component of San José State University and the Division of Student Affairs, the mission of University Housing Services (UHS) is to provide vibrant student-centered living communities designed to promote academic success, personal development, university involvement and civic engagement.
The Coordinator for Academic Strategies and Tutoring is a live out position that works independently, under limited supervision, with primary responsibility for developing and implementing academic programming, tutoring, and retention efforts in the residence halls. Reporting to the Assistant Director for Academic Initiatives, the position provides academic support programs and services designed to facilitate successful student persistence through the completion of the baccalaureate degree.
The position requires someone with strong written and oral communication skills, knowledge of teaching pedagogy and student development theory, the ability to work collaboratively, and an understanding of the complexities of academic development. The position contributes significantly to creating and sustaining a supportive educational environment for students living within University Housing Services. The Coordinator for Academic Strategies and Tutoring is responsible for the recruitment, selection, supervision and evaluation of the student staff working in the Spartan Study Hub and incorporates emerging best practices to enhance student engagement and academic achievement. The Coordinator for Academic Strategies and Tutoring collaborates with a variety of stakeholders including faculty, students, campus partners and academic units and must have strong communication and interpersonal skills as well as political acumen.
Responsibilities also include but are not limited to the following:
- Responsible for the oversight and management of the Spartan Study Hub which provides resources, academic support, and opportunities for student engagement for all Housing residents.
- Partner with Peer Connections for the design, implementation, coordination, and delivery of tutorial assistance and peer mentoring within the Spartan Study Hub in Housing.
- Coordinate the Early Alert program for residential students in Housing, support intervention initiatives, and collaborate with campus efforts.
- Provide educational counseling and interventions to students experiencing academic difficulties.
SUPERVISION AND TRAINING
- Responsible for recruitment, selection, training, appraisal and supervision of Spartan Study Hub Tutors; Academic Support Mentors, Learning Assistants; and Spartan Study Hub Supervisor.
- In partnership with Peer Connections staff, serve as an instructor of a national tutor and peer mentor training certification program.
- Meet regularly with Spartan Study Hub Supervisor to provide mentoring, support and guidance.Meet as needed with other staff individually and as groups.
ADMINISTRATION AND DEVELOPMENT
- Oversee all administrative logistics of the Spartan Study Hub.
- Work collaboratively within University Housing Services to share information, identify concerns, address issues, coordinate activities and manage administrative responsibilities.
- Prepare and deliver oral presentations to students, staff, faculty and families as appropriate.
- Attend meetings/events hosted by the Academic Colleges, major departments, and other relevant campus units.
Collateral Assignments, Research, and Special Projects
- Chairs and/or serves on working committees that coordinate major Residential Life projects and assignments.
- Works with Associate Director and Assistant Directors for Residential Life to develop a professional development plan.
- Participates in professional development opportunities that may include development and implementation of workshops, facilitating presentations, and attending professional conferences.
To apply, please visit: http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/careers/jobs and search for Job ID: 24487.
Equal Employment Statement:
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.