Director of Residence Life and Housing
Position: Director of Residence Life and Housing
Department: Student Life
Reports to: Vice President for Student Life
This position provides direction and supervision for all functions of campus residence life and housing. The director will oversee the daily activities of the residence life staff to ensure students will have an outstanding experience living on campus.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise 2 associate directors, 2 area coordinators, administrative assistant, graduate assistants, and staff for 15 residence halls, apartment complexes, and Greek housing.
- Prepare and manage the annual operating budget for the office and all residential facilities.
- Participate in the development of hall programming that promotes student engagement, learning and contributes to retention and academic success.
- Develop and administer the Residence Life program assessments to measure the effectiveness of staff and hall programs to meet the needs of the residential students.
- Develop and provide support for Residential Living Communities (RLC) working with departments and academic majors in the recruitment of faculty and staff that will create and sustain these communities
- Provide on-site leadership during a campus or housing crisis event or emergency.
- Serve on the University’s Behavioral Intervention Team and be responsible for staff providing appropriate coverage during a crisis.
- Provide leadership in the implementation of the opening and closing of all housing facilities related to the beginning and ending of the academic year, holidays, and summer school.
- Annually review the housing policies, procedures, contracts, and software.
- Provide assistance to the staff in managing room assignments, room changes, housing contracts, roommate meditation, and housing cancellations.
- Collaborate with Facilities Management staff to ensure housing is prepared and ready each semester for students and overall maintenance issues are addressed.
- Collaborate with other university departments to enforce residence hall regulations and monitor student conduct in the residence halls.
- Serve as the liaison for Residence Life throughout the campus Serve on University Faculty & Staff committees as requested
- Participate in and support the Student Life Strategic Initiatives
- Master’s degree in higher education, student personnel or related field
- Five years’ experience of working in residence life on a college/university campus
- Experience in developing, implementing and assessing strategic goals, objectives, and outcomes
- Experience in supervision/administrative role
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Collaborative individual working with faculty and staff from a variety of university departments.
- Ability to multitask and find creative solutions in a supervisory and autonomous environment
- Strong organizational and problem solving skills
- Computer skills including Microsoft Office programs and Learning Management Systems such as Blackboard
- Strong oral and written communication skills need to work effectively with faculty, staff, students, parents, and administrators