Director of Budget and Resource Planning - Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology (A
Director of Budget and Resource Planning
Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology seeks to fill a vacancy for a full-time Director of Budget and Resource Planning. The function of this position is to provide leadership and oversee the finance and grants and contracts functions of the Beckman Institute in support of the Associate Director for Administration of the Beckman Institute. This includes the planning and oversight of fiscal resources, financial functions and research administration.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Direct the accounting, business and financial operations, and grants and contracts operations in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles, university policy, relevant state and federal laws, and the goals of the Beckman Institute.
- Initiate and complete transactions as well as monitor business activity to identify and resolve problems.
- Develop, recommend, and implement efficient business processes and procedures for operations to meet the administrative needs of the Beckman Institute, including coordinating the design, development, documentation, and implementation of new and/or revised financial systems and procedures.
- Work with the Associate Director for Administration to develop and execute an annual budget as well as develop long-term financial forecasts.
- Manage and supervise the Business Affairs Office in order to provide a high level of customer service, teamwork, efficiency, and effectiveness of the office; including train, direct workflow, prepare job descriptions, and complete performance evaluations for the Business Affairs activities that include finance and grants and contracts (pre- and post-award) functions.
- Monitor all self-supporting activities and work with Government Costing in the development and monitoring of recharge rates.
- Review and approve financial transactions for compliance with university policy and appropriate use of funds.
- Act as a liaison to the Office of Business and Financial Services, Internal Audits, and Sponsored Programs Administration for the Beckman Institute.
- Prepare or oversee the preparation of various ad hoc financial reports and perform ad hoc analyses of financial data.
- Oversee gifts and endowments to ensure that funds are used in accordance with donor intent.
- Coordinate the design and development of business related content for the Beckman Institute intranet.
- Coordinate and assist with the preparation of financial and other reports for audit purposes and the implementation of responses to audit findings.
- Oversee and approve procurement processes, including purchase orders and University credit card purchases.
- Work with various offices, including the Office of Business and Financial Services, Campus Budget Office, Purchasing, Payables, etc., to gather information and process various business transactions.
- Represent the Beckman Institute on campus committees such as Business Managers and others, as requested.
- Participate in continuing professional development activities (e.g., conferences, seminars, training) to improve knowledge of technical and ethical aspects of accounting and business practices.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Accountancy, Finance, Business, or related field
- At least three years' relevant experience
- At least three years of supervisory experience
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Ability to exercise initiative, confidentiality, discretion and sound independent judgement
- MBA or similar advanced degree preferred
- CPA or CIA designation preferred
- At least three years' business experience in a university setting preferred
- Experience with the University of Illinois' policies and rules preferred
- Demonstrated experience using the HR and Financial modules in BANNER preferred
- Working knowledge of automated accounting and data reporting systems preferred
- Proficiency creating and utilizing reports using Business Objects preferred
The Director of Budget and Resource Planning is a full-time, benefits-eligible Academic Professional position. Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. In order to ensure full consideration, applications must be received by March 29, 2018. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. The expected start is as soon as possible after the closing date. To apply, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for three references as a single PDF file by March 29, 2018. All requested information must be entered for your application to be considered. For further information, please contact Beckman Institute Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Director of Budget and Resource Planning - Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology (A1800156)
Open Date: 03/08/2018
Close Date: 03/29/2018
Organization Name: BI Business Affairs