Research Data Specialist - School of Social Work - CPRD (A1800155)
Research Data Specialist
School of Social Work
Center for Prevention Research and Development
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
Illinois is a world leader in research, teaching, and public engagement. We serve the state, the nation, and the world by creating knowledge, preparing students for lives of impact, and addressing critical societal needs through the transfer and application of knowledge. Illinois is the place where we embrace difference. We embrace it because we value it. Illinois is especially interested in candidates who can contribute, through their research, teaching, and/or service, to the diversity and excellence of the Illinois community.
The Research Data Specialist (RDS) works on teams that conduct evaluation of projects targeting community-based substance abuse prevention programs and promotion of academic readiness for higher education among Illinois youth. The RDS is responsible for preparing data for statistical analysis, combining and matching data from a variety of sources, performing and interpreting statistical data analysis, and creating, managing and manipulating MS Access databases.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Recommend, review and assist in the development of appropriate statistical analyses, data analysis plans, and research questions based on project needs.
- Create and manipulate data sets, including large national datasets such as the U.S. Census, for various evaluations designs.
- Implement predetermined rules to code data, create data dictionaries, and interpret data dictionaries.
- Perform basic descriptive statistics including means, medians, frequencies, chi-square, correlations, crosstabs, one-way ANOVA.
- Use SPSS and/or SAS to read in/set up data files, run automated analysis and reporting systems, design/write/test/maintain complex programs and for advanced statistical models.
- Design, build, test and maintain basic spreadsheet applications in MS Excel and use MS Excel to import data from text files, html, or other outside sources.
- Design, build, test and maintain basic database applications in MS Access and create and test queries.
- Translate data output into text, bullet points, or tables/graphs/charts using APA style and/or other standard style guideline.
- Clearly document all procedures and analyses.
- Collaborate with other analysts at CPRD to serve as a peer support system for problem solving and quality assurance.
- Follow internal CPRD protocols and communicate project or Center-wide system weaknesses and solutions in a timely manner.
- Other duties and responsibilities appropriate for this Research Data Specialist.
Minimum Education and Work Experience: Bachelor's degree in Statistics, Education, Psychology, Public Health, Sociology, or related behavioral science. Master's degree in Statistics, Education, Psychology, Public Health, Sociology, or related behavioral science is preferred. Two years of work experience preparing data for and conducting statistical analyses.
Knowledge Requirements: Knowledge of SPSS, SAS, and/or STAT statistical software. Knowledge of MS Excel and MS Access. Knowledge of statistical methods and ability to articulate the associated findings. Ability to work in a team environment. Ability to articulate steps in a process (logic in thinking). Knowledgeable about working in an applied research setting. Excellent and demonstrated interpersonal, time management, organizational, and solution focused skills.
Preferred: Advanced MS Excel skills. Advanced MS Access skills. Skills in advanced statistical techniques preferred, including MLM/HLM, Mediation/Moderation models, Resampling/Bootstrapping techniques, GEE and Advanced Survey Sampling.
This is a non-visiting 12-month, full-time academic professional appointment with a start date as soon as possible after the closing date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To ensure full consideration complete applications must be submitted by March 22, 2018. The committee may begin reviewing applications before the close date but no decision will be made until after the close date. Please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a resume, cover letter, and the names and contact information for three references. For further information, you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu.
College Name or Administrative Unit: School of Social Work
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Research Data Specialist - School of Social Work - CPRD (A1800155)
Open Date: 03/08/2018
Close Date: 03/22/2018
Organization Name: School of Social Work