Veterans Educational Benefits and Services Coordinator (Administrative Services Specialist 3), UCP
Job Title: Veterans Educational Benefits and Services Coordinator (Administrative Services Specialist 3), UCP 5
Job ID: 2018448
Location: Storrs Campus
Under the direction of the Director of Veterans Affairs and Military Programs, this position is responsible for full range of veteran support services on campus.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conducts VA Certifying Official responsibilities and state of CT veteran and National Guard tuition waiver processing for student veterans at UConn.
- Provide walk-in/call-in veterans educational benefits counseling. Assist veterans, military service members and eligible dependents in the completion of admissions, enrollment, registration, and benefits processes.
- Coordinate outreach to student veterans (i.e. programs, events, activities) and utilize student work study and volunteers to implement these efforts.
- Serve as an advocate to student veterans. Mentor and advise student veterans transitioning to university life and college. May advise the UConn chapter of the Veterans Students Organization.
- Collaborate with campus, VA, and community organizations/departments to assist student veterans to utilize resources that can help them with transition issues.
- Facilitate/teach/develop and implement classes (i.e. SERV, FYE, etc.) to better serve veteran students' needs and to help educate the larger campus community about military and veteran history and culture. Conduct Veteran New/Transfer Student Orientation programs.
- Coordinate training and workshops as necessary to serve the needs of veterans on-campus. Present information to campus community about the Office of Veterans Affairs & Military Programs and help educate students, faculty, and staff about veterans.
- Assist with on-going assessment efforts, which may include, but is not limited to maintaining contact lists and databases containing veteran information.
- Represents the Office of Veterans Affairs & Military programs at orientation, resource fairs, and other meetings and events at UConn, the V.A., and other community functions.
- Helps maintain ongoing online communication (i.e. office website, Facebook, Linked-In, etc.). This includes outreach to Alumni, faculty/staff, and regular newsletter productions.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience, or Associate's degree and four to seven years progressively responsible related experience in an administrative support or program manager position.
- Proven ability to effectively work with diverse populations.
- Demonstrated word-processing and computer training and expertise in MS Office, including Excel spreadsheets, Word, and PowerPoint; as well as Social Media communications.
- Exceptional and demonstrated organizational skills and an ability to resolve routine problems professionally, efficiently, effectively, and independently.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines, manage multiple assignments efficiently, and work independently with minimum supervision.
- Those with prior Uniformed Services experience must have been honorably discharged.
- Master's Degree.
- At least 2 years experience providing direct customer service, either in an educational or office setting.
- Experience in higher education working with the student veteran population.
- Experience with certifying VA chapter veteran educational benefits.
- Familiarity with full range of state and federal veteran benefits beyond educational benefits.
- Prior Uniformed Services experience.
This is a full-time, 12 month position. The University offers a competitive salary with outstanding benefits, and a highly desirable work environment. Salary will be commensurate with the successful candidate's background and experience.
Interested candidates please apply online at UConn Jobs at www.jobs.uconn.edu, Staff Positions, to submit a letter of application, resume, and contact information for three professional references. Please reference Search # 2018448. Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check. (Search # 2018448)
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on March 29, 2018.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University's teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn's ranking as one of the nation's top research universities. UConn's faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.