Instructor - Advanced Practice Provider
University of Colorado School of Medicine
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Department of Pediatrics
Section of Hematology/Oncology/Bone Marrow Transplant, School of Medicine
Instructor - Advanced Practice Provider
Pediatric Palliative Care Program Leader
Position # 696669 - Requisition # 12841
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding.
The Department of Pediatrics Section of Hematology, Oncology, and Bone Marrow Transplantation has an opening for a full-time Instructor - Advanced Practice Provider - Pediatric Palliative Care Program Leader. This position will serve as a Faculty member of the Pediatric Hem/Onc/BMT team located on the Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora. You will be based at the Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders (CCBD) Anschutz site of practice. You will have a 1.0 CFTE clinical effort.
Examples of Work Performed:
This position will be expected to provide coverage for general inpatient and outpatient in the specialty of Pediatric Palliative Care. The position will collaborate with the primary team on the care of patients with a life-limiting or life-threatening diagnosis receiving pediatric palliative care.
Job Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Conduct comprehensive, focused assessments of children and families with palliative care needs.
- Formulate, implement, monitor, evaluate, and modify palliative care plans and program activities with input from palliative care team and other collaborating care providers.
- Work with patients and families to determine their understanding of their child's condition, proposed treatment plan and treatment options.
- Assist children and families to develop self-care capabilities relative to identified problems.
- Assist in all facets of care coordination for palliative care referrals.
- Engage in quality improvement in patient care services and department functions,
- including evaluating the effectiveness of the health care delivery system in meeting the health care needs of pediatric palliative care patients and families.
- Advocate for improvements in pediatric palliative care through participation in professional, private, and governmental groups.
- Provide clinical expertise and guidance for undergraduate and/or graduate students in the specialty area.
- Act as resource person for clinical information and education as requested by community agencies.
- Assess the environment for potential need for consultation.
- Plan clinical and educational interventions which are consistent with individual/organizational needs and goals, and evaluate change/outcomes.
- Implement patient and family education in collaboration with the interdisciplinary team.
- Participate in pediatric palliative care research, including quality and performance improvement initiatives.
- Define goals for professional growth, and participate actively in professional activities and organizations.
- Demonstrate accountability for evaluation of clinical practice, including adherence to organizational, state and national practice standards and codes.
- Engage in active and frequent self-care activities for personal and professional growth and longevity.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates maybe be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
- Master's Degree leading to ability to be certified as Pediatric Nurse Practitioner, Pediatric Clinical Nurse Specialist, Family Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant.
- The applicant must be licensed to practice as an Advanced Practice Nurse or Physician Assistant in the State of Colorado or have the ability to obtain a license before their start date.
- Minimum of 7+ years of clinical experience, including care of children with complex, chronic and/or life- threatening conditions, and those at end of life;
- Knowledge of medications and prescriptive authority per state law.
Condition of Employment:
- Must successfully pass a drug test through Children's Hospital Colorado
- Must be willing and able to pass a national criminal and sex offender background check
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Clinical nursing care or physician assistant experience in oncology, hospice, children and youth with special health care needs (CYSHCN), or pediatric/neonatal intensive care preferred
- Ability to effectively communicate within a multidisciplinary team.
- Ability to communicate with open listening for patients and families.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong advocacy skills.
- Knowledge of palliative care concepts including, but not limited to: symptom management, advanced care planning, and psychosocial support.
- Hospice and Palliative Care Certification.
- Received palliative care-specific education or training.
- Program development experience.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Required Application Materials: When applying at www.cu.edu/cu-careers, applicants must include: 1. A cover letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV or resume 3. The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and email addresses for three professional references. Questions should be directed to Dr. Brian Greffe at Brian.Greffe@childrenscolorado.org
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references. Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: - Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20877 - SOM-PEDS Hematology-Onc-GenOps
Posting Date: Mar 8, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Brian Greffe, MD
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00696669