Biological Safety Technician
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Department of Environmental Health and Safety
Biological Safety Technician
Position #741453 - Requisition #12769
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
Who we are:
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets. Read more about us here.
The Department of Environmental Health and Safety has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Biological Safety Technician position.
Jobs in this career family provide direct professional support of research activities. Functions include contracts and grants solicitation and administration, grant/agreement preparation, review and negotiation, regulatory compliance, sponsor communication and post and pre award management, human subject compliance, research animal management, research laboratory coordination and instruction, environmental health and safety, radiation control, hazardous materials use, disposal and training.
Senior Professionals are responsible for exercising discretion, analytical skill, personal accountability and responsibility in a wide range of areas including academic, administrative, managerial and student services functions. Work involves creating, integrating, applying and sharing knowledge directly related to a professional field. Work is performed fully independently.
The Biological Safety Technician serves as an individual contributor under the supervision of the University Biosafety Officer (position # 217807). This position works collaboratively on the administration of the Biosafety Program at the University's campuses. Program covers the possession, use and disposal of biological materials, infectious agents, recombinant DNA, transgenic animals and plants, and related materials for the CU Denver campuses. In this capacity, may be called upon to provide information and support to sister campuses at CU-Boulder and CU Colorado Springs as well as other affiliated institutions.
Examples of Work Performed:
Biosafety Program Support/Scientific Expertise
- Assists in evaluating on-going and proposed research involving recombinant nucleic acids, infectious agents or potentially infectious materials for overall compliance with related Federal, State and local regulations and standards (i.e. NIOSH, CDPHE, EPA, OSHA, CDC, NIH) as well as institutional policies and standards.
- This position coordinates the efficient treatment and disposal of all biohazardous, regulated medical waste for the UCD campuses and off-campus clinics, while being compliant to numerous regulations, and fiscally responsible.
- Must ensure appropriate triage of biohazardous/regulated medical waste streams, disinfection/decontamination of biohazardous waste, training and auditing waste generators. Will serve as the "point of contact" between the contracted disposal vendors and the researchers. Using best practices and published efficacy data, determines and advises waste generators on the options for disinfection and decontamination of various biohazardous/regulated medical waste streams.
- Serve as back-up for the pick-up and processing of Regulated Medical Waste tubs when the biowaste technician is absent.
- Responsible for the maintenance of critical databases for the biosafety and biowaste programs.
- Conducts inspections and audits to ensure compliance with federal, state, local regulations, and institutional policies
- Serve as EHS on-call person periodically. Responds to and assists with the mitigation of emergencies and spills as needed.
- Investigates accidents and incidents and submits reports to appropriate authorities on such as needed.
- Improve compliance and safety on campus through outreach, effective training and active communication. Assist in developing on-line training with University ELD and delivering instructor-led training for researchers, the Institutional Biosafety Committee, and Environmental Health and Safety staff.
This description is a summary only and is describing the general level of work being performed, it is not intended to be all-inclusive. The duties of this position may change from time to time and/or based on business need. We reserve the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of the supervisor and/or hiring authority.
What we require:
- Bachelor's degree in Biology, Microbiology, or relevant science field with documented course work in biology and chemistry
- Two years of experience in a regulatory environment such as city, county, state or federal regulatory agency OR two years of experience as a laboratory manager or safety contact in a biomedical research laboratory
- Substitution: A combination of education and related technical/paraprofessional experience may be substituted for the bachelor's degree on a year for year basis
- Wear approved respiratory protection Lift and carry up to 30 pounds Receive screenings and vaccinations to protect against infectious disease related to their potential exposure including but not limited to Hepatitis and Tuberculosis Participate in medical surveillance as applicable to the potential work exposures, which may include blood or urine collection and the administration of health questionnaires Stand or sit for long periods, squat, bend, kneel, and walk for long periods Must possess (or be able to acquire within 2 months of hire) a current, valid State of Colorado Driver's License
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
What we'd like you to have:
- Two years of experience in an academic EHS with duties in waste management (i.e. biological, chemical, or radiological) following federal, state, and local regulations for waste segregation, treatment and disposal.
- Experience in waste management in an academic environment.
- Experience with large autoclaves used with the decontamination of biological wastes.
- Current or past national professional certification in safety or regulatory compliance (RHSP, REHS, CSP, CHMM, etc.).
- Strong background in biological research with experience in virology, microbiology, molecular biology, recombinant DNA and animal use.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution
- Outstanding customer service skills
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion
- This position requires a working knowledge of biological materials, infectious materials, and processes involved in medical, clinical, and basic bench, plant, animal and human subjects' biological research.
- Must possess and demonstrate first-hand knowledge of the OSHA regulations for Blood-borne Pathogens, OSHA Laboratory Standard, as well as DOT and CDPHE regulations and their implementation in a biomedical research setting
- Must possess and demonstrate first-hand knowledge of the CDC Biosafety in Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratories (BMBL) and their implementation in a research setting
- Basic knowledge of the hazardous materials found in the research setting. Basic knowledge of occupational safety and environmental compliance regulations
- Must be able to use judgment gained from SOPs, scientific knowledge and experience, as well as interpret applicable Federal, State and local regulations, and tailor them to fit specific circumstances to mitigate, resolve and manage waste disposal, emergency responses and situations
- Demonstrated ability to compose and implement Standard Operating Procedures for work with biological hazards; conduct risk assessments for wastes generated from laboratory manipulation of biological hazards; instruct personnel in safe waste triage and disposal, work practices; general laboratory practices
- Demonstrated understanding of engineering, administrative and work place control measures e.g. respirators; employee training and information; medical consultation and examination
- Demonstrated ability to implement emergency response planning (e.g. power failure, spills) and continuity of operations activities
- Must possess and demonstrate adequate technical writing skills, verbal communications skills and effective training delivery and presentation skills
- Computer literacy and familiarity using database applications for data management and reporting
- Experience and excellence with Excel software
- Ability to use multiple data management software applications and assist others in obtaining information from these departmental systems (including writing SOPs for the systems)
- Flexible to changing demands and ability to manage multiple tasks throughout the work week
- Must be able to work autonomously with minimal oversight
- Understanding of auditing principles
- Possess strong customer service skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software, especially using formulas in Excel databases, tracking parameters, creating charts to present to upper management
- Meticulous attention to details, especially in record keeping for regulatory compliance
- The salary range for this position has been established at $48,719 to $81,199 and is commensurate with skills and experience
- The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers * REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A cover letter/letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2) A current resume/CV. 3) List of 3-5 professional references.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees. The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Research Services
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: U0001 -- Denver-Anschutz Administration - 60078 - ADM-VCR EH&S Anschutz
Posting Date: Mar 8, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Denise Donnelly
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00741453