Advanced Practice Provider (APP)
University of Colorado School of Medicine
University of Colorado Denver - Anschutz Medical Campus
Department of Pediatrics - Section of Cardiology
Advanced Practice Practitioner
Position #740767 - Requisition #11706
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding.
The Department of Pediatrics Section of Cardiology has an opening for a full-time Instructor. The Section of Cardiology provides patient management and coordination for the Cardiac Intensive Care Unit and Cardiac Progressive Care Unit. The Advanced Practice Provider will join a multidisciplinary team to provide care for the hospitalized cardiac patient from admission to discharge. The position is 1.0 FTE and includes Day/Evening/Night rotation as well as weekends and holidays. A salary incentive may be possible for those staffing greater than 75% nights or weekends.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Provides/coordinates clinical practice for patients admitted to the Pediatric Cardiac Intensive Care Unit and Cardiac Progressive Care Unit service, 24 hours a day, through the collaborative practice agreement and under the supervision of the on-call attending physician who is either on site or available by pager or phone.
- Provides evidence-based clinical care to pediatric patients in the CICU/CPCU
- Gathers pertinent information systematically and skillfully from all sources: history, diagnostic tests, and comprehensive physical examinations, behavioral and developmental assessments
- Incorporates all assessment findings into a plan to direct patient management
- Round daily on all patients in the CICU/CPCU based upon a rotating schedule and collaborate with the attending physician, other attending physicians from referral services, and with the healthcare team to assess, diagnose, plan, set priorities and realistic outcomes, and evaluate the effectiveness and cost efficiency of patient care
- Evaluates patient physiological and behavioral responses to interventions for revision of management plans
- Documents daily all relevant data including but not limited to results of diagnostic tests, laboratory results, patients' condition, response to therapies/interventions, and follow-up interventions
- Differentiates normal and abnormal variations for all body systems
- Accurately interprets diagnostic tests
- Develops problem lists with associated differential diagnosis
- Communicates with the family regarding the changing health care needs of their child
- Assesses family adaptation, coping skills and the need for crisis or other interventions
- Establishes appropriate priorities of care
- Utilizing available resources (PharmD, formulary, consulting services) plans and implements appropriate pharmacologic therapies
- Accurately and appropriately performs routine diagnostic and therapeutic techniques according to established protocol and current pediatric critical care standards
- Initiates and performs measures necessary to resuscitate and stabilize a compromised pediatric patient according to current critical care and AHA standards
- Initiates referrals based on patient/family needs
- Communicates verbally all pertinent patient information to the on call attending physician, nursing staff, and other relevant healthcare providers
- Provides competence in advanced critical care skills
- Utilizes prescriptive privileges for identified patient population
- Keeps knowledge base current by reading professional literature, attending educational programs, and reviewing changes in health legislation and relevant professional research
- Develop, implement, and promote educational and support resources, following institutional processes
- Utilize evidence-based data and provide leadership to improve outcomes
- Utilizes evidence-based decision-making in all clinical practice
- Incorporates clinical research finding in the development and implementation of standards of care
- Supports IRB approved clinical research/trials through a variety of activities including but not limited to: obtaining consent, ordering diagnostic tests, recording laboratory and diagnostic results, administering therapeutic interventions, and reporting patient outcomes including toxicities or adverse events
- Participates in interdisciplinary quality improvement and/or research activities.
- Participates in documenting outcome measures
- Identifies potential areas for research
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is $99,000 and is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
- Graduate preparation in nursing (e.g., MS, ND, DNP)
Certified Pediatric Nurse Practitioner or Certified Family Nurse Practitioner
- Acute Care Certified
- Current Colorado Nursing License
- Current Certifications in Basic Life Support and Pediatric Advanced Life Support
- Minimum 2 years' experience in Pediatric Healthcare and Critical Care
- Prescriptive authority or eligible for certification
Condition of Employment:
- Must successfully pass a drug test through Children's Hospital Colorado
- Must be willing and able to pass a national criminal and sex offender background check
- 1-2 years of nursing or advanced practice experience in Pediatric Cardiac Care and Pediatric Critical Care
- Evaluates patient physiological and behavioral responses to interventions
- Ability to provide independent decision-making related to clinical management of patient population
- Ability to provide leadership in managing the plan of care
- Strong communication skills;
- Ability to collaborate patient care with appropriate staff
- Broad knowledge and clinical skills in cardiac care and critical care
- Commitment to Patient Safety, Quality Care, Communication, and Customer Service
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Required Application Materials: When applying at www.cu.edu/cu-careers, applicants must include: 1. A cover letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV or resume 3. The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and email addresses for three professional references. 4. Professional recommendation letters Questions should be directed to Bonnie [email protected]
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references. Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References, Reference Letters (Not Confidential)
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20980 - SOM-PEDS Cardiology-GenOps
Posting Date: Nov 7, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Bonnie Bellairs
Posting Contact Email: Bonnie [email protected]
Position Number: 00740767