Is this an internal posting only?
M-F, 8 am-5 pm
The UNT Art Galleries coordinates exhibitions and fine art collections at the University of North Texas. Housed in the College of Visual Arts and Design (CVAD), the Galleries currently consists of one professional and three student exhibition spaces on campus, annually presenting five curated or open-call exhibitions and more than 90 student exhibitions, the latter largely facilitated by student exhibitors. The Galleries oversees a research collection within the College and a public art collection on the Denton campus, including acquisitions through a Percent for Art program and private donations. Through our programs, we seek to inspire and empower student and community audiences through the viewing experience; foster students' confidence and professionalism in the public display of their artworks; present and promote the artist's voice; and preserve and engage with collections.
The CVAD-Dean's Office Department at the University of North Texas is seeking to hire an Art Registrar to join our team. The primary responsibility of the position is the safe coordination of works of art in exhibitions, programs and collections, including facilitation of exhibition logistics, facilities maintenance, artwork registration, collection management and supervision of contractors and student employees.
The Art Registrar applies intermediate skills that require knowledge of fine art display, care and documentation, including space preparation and maintenance. He/she works across University areas and with external partners, using cross-functional communication and methods. He/she is responsible for determining personnel needs and assigning work, identifying project needs, meeting deadlines, working within budget, and ensuring consistent application of organizational policies. The Art Registrar may occasionally need to work evenings, weekends, outdoors and/or in Dallas and Fort Worth.
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
* Assists the gallery director in the daily operations of the University Art Galleries and associated programs and collections.
* Facilitates large-scale organization, coordination and monitoring of projects, procedures and deadlines.
* Oversees facilities organization and maintenance.
* Manages records.
* Engages in financial and administrative processes.
* Manages student art gallery schedules, administration and promotion.
* Hires, trains and oversees student staff.
* Thorough understanding of best practices in fine art handling, storage, and display.
* Ability to manage multiple projects and meet goals and deadlines.
* Attention to detail.
* Proactive and effective communication, both verbal and written.
* Ability to organize complex and abundant information.
* Ability to coordinate and oversee the work of others.
* Proficiency in MS Office, basic Adobe Suite, and MuseumPlus collection database.
* Physical capabilities including using fingers and hands to feel, grasp, operate or handle objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; talk, hear, stand, sit and walk; lift and/or move up to 20 lbs. and occasionally up to 40 lbs.; use tools such as dolly and ladder; adjust vision focus and discern colors.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The successful candidate will possess a Bachelor's Degree in related field and three years of professional related experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* Professional experience in arts administration and the facilitation of artworks (transportation, installation, care and safe handling).
* A demonstrated interest in exhibitions and working with living artists.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume, cover letter and list of three references with the online application.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Quicklink for Posting