Position Title: Academic Advisor
Position Number: 008150
Full-time or Part-time: Full Time
Department: College of Education
Posting Number: 0401208
SHRA/EHRA: EHRA (Non-Faculty)
Job Category: Professional
Hiring Range: Commensurate with Education and Experience
Minimum salary: $35,382
Maximum salary: $56,611
Overall Position Competency: Flat Rate
Description of primary duties and responsibilities:
Primary Purpose of the Organizational Unit:
Fayetteville State University is a leading institution of opportunity and diversity committed to developing responsible global citizens. The primary mission of the university is to provide students with the highest quality learning experiences that will produce global citizens and leaders as change agents for shaping the future. The College of Education prepares knowledgeable, reflective, and caring professionals in the fields of education, research, and service. Completers, prepared by highly qualified faculty and through participation in prescribed activities, cutting edge instructional practices offered through multiple modes of delivery, on-going assessments, and field-based internships, have the knowledge, skills, and dispositions to support student learning within a framework of family
and community (including the military) and are able to participate in a diverse, technological, and global society. The COE proudly prepares transformational educators and leaders through licensure only options and degrees at the bachelors, masters, and doctoral levels for the southeastern region of the state, nation, and the global community.
The primary mission of the Department of Educational Leadership at Fayetteville State University is to prepare dynamic, knowledgeable, caring, and reflective educational leaders who are dedicated to facilitating learning for all children in the 21st Century schools. This goal is achieved in graduate and licensure programs through the delivery of research-based instruction, collaboration, partnerships, and continuous professional development. The goal of the department is to produce diverse leaders for social justice.
Primary Purpose of the Position:
The College of Education is seeking a professional, knowledgeable candidate to serve in a Professional Academic Advisor role. The successful candidate will have thorough knowledge of advising and counseling techniques for working with adults, and knowledge of the requirements for the diverse graduate majors within COE. The advisor will coordinate program details with various academic units and advise candidates on degree completion requirements, timelines for matriculation requirements, monitor the completion of forms supporting mentor recommended transfer course equivalencies and programs of study, as well as other degree-related student matters. The Professional Advisor will conduct focus groups and other inquiry methods to collect data from candidates and report to the chair analyses of the data collected.
Description of Work Continued:
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Serve as initial point of contact for traditional and transfer candidates in COE.
• Issue Pin Numbers to candidates for course registration.
• Review transcripts from former institutions and consult with faculty mentors, program coordinators, and the department chair to determine
major equivalencies and ensure appropriate records are maintained for graduation clearance.
• Advise candidates individually and make referrals as needed.
• Respond to inquiries about the FSU dissertation, comprehensive, and admission processes from prospective and current candidates.
• Work with SOE departments and other University offices to maximize student success by maintaining digital and hardcopy files as needed.
• Advise current students and monitor completion of paperwork supporting processes for admission, internal program stages/transition points, and graduation .
• Track and query candidates to assist department chair with course offerings and scheduling for teacher education degree programs.
• Complete reports and data collection for recruitment, IHE Report and Title II Report.
• Participate in special programs such as Fall Preview, Majors Fair, Open House, Orientation, etc.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
An earned master's degree from an accredited institution.
At least 2-3 years work experience in a higher education setting, preferably in academic advising, counseling or student affairs.
Knowledge skills and abilities:
Applicant must be knowledgeable in Microsoft Office Products (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel).
Knowledge of SCT Banner software
Must have excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
Must be able to manager a wide variety of records, files, and reports.
Must have personal and professional attributes to include punctuality, diligence, commitment, integrity, teamwork, and confidentiality
Closing Date: 04/30/2018
Open Until Filled: No
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * What is your highest level of education?
- High school graduate, diploma or the equivalent
- Some college credit, no degree
- Associate degree
- Bachelor's degree
- Professional/Graduate degree
- * Do you possess at least 2-3 years work experience in a higher education setting, preferably in academic advising, counseling or student affairs?
Optional & Required Documents
- Cover Letter
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Other Document
This position is subject to the successful completion of an employment background check. An employment background check includes a criminal background check, employment verification, reference checks, license verification (if applicable), academic verification and credit history check (if applicable).
Fayetteville State University is committed to equality of educational opportunity and employment and does not discriminate against applicants, students, or employees based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information or veteran status. Moreover, Fayetteville State University values diversity and actively seeks to recruit talented students, faculty, and staff from diverse backgrounds.
Fayetteville State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and seeks priority referrals of protected veterans for our openings.