Director of Curriculum - Teachers College
The director of curriculum provides leadership and vision to the ongoing design, development, and evaluation of the programs within the Teachers College. The director innovatively transforms Teachers College programs to be relevant and engaging student experiences. This individual relies heavily on student engagement and performance data as well as student, faculty, and employer feedback to measure and monitor the effectiveness of curriculum, learning resources, and assessments and creates strategies for improvement. In collaboration with the academic vice president of the Teachers College, peers, and other stakeholders, the curriculum director will lead continuous efforts to improve student outcomes. This individual is accountable for the on-time delivery of high-quality courses and initiatives.
- Collaborates with executive leadership and cross-functional teams to decide on innovations and improvements to the existing student experience and processes, based on analyzed data, current practice, and emerging trends
- Collaborates with other internal teams to understand individual and overall project needs, creating a cohesive course/program and enhancing the seamless student experience
- Partners cross-functionally for the timely execution of new products, processes, and procedures that support Academic Programs initiatives
- Produces timely, consistent, and accurate reports for stakeholders and executives
- Holds direct reports accountable for assigned programs, using established performance management processes
- Provides measurable feedback to direct reports and suggestions for improved performance
- Coaches, mentors, and assists in the professional development of team members
- Provides thought leadership and vision for the continuous improvement of student outcomes and overall health and quality of curriculum in assigned specialty
- Determines strategic initiatives that support projected Academic Programs’ growth and directs the implementation of new products, technologies, and systems that support effective and innovative practices
- Collaborates with university councils, academic vice presidents, assessment staff, marketing staff, and other university stakeholders to consistently monitor and react to market demand, workforce needs, and accreditation changes
- Ability to organize, coordinate, and direct team activities and results
- Ability to coach and develop direct reports
- Ability to work effectively in a highly matrixed organization
- Ability to build relationships and influence at all levels
- Ability to be an agent of change in a rapidly changing environment
- Proven ability to analyze data to identify trends and drive innovative process improvement
- Sound judgement and decision-making skills
Influences Others and Communicates Effectively: Communicates to improve and promote teamwork, decision making, and problem solving. Listens and responds effectively to the reactions and positions of others and encourages the expression of diverse ideas and opinions. Adjusts message and style to fit the audience. Provides timely and helpful feedback. Communicates appropriately to win support with all audiences.
Collaborates: Works cooperatively with others across the organization to achieve shared objectives. Represents own interests while being fair to others and their areas. Partners with others to get work done. Credits others for their contributions and accomplishments. Gains buy-in, trust and support of others.
Manages Ambiguity: Deals comfortably with the uncertainty of change. Effectively handles risk. Can decide to act without the total picture. Is calm and productive, even when things are up in the air. Deals constructively with problems that do not have clear solutions or outcomes.
Being Resilient: Is confident under pressure. Handles and manages crises effectively. Maintains a positive attitude despite adversity. Bounces back from obstacles and setbacks. Grows from hardships and negative experiences.
Drives for Results: Has a strong outcomes-based orientation. Persists in accomplishing objectives despite obstacles and setbacks. Has a track record of successfully succeeding goals. Pushes self and helps others achieve results. Has a continuous improvement mindset.
Builds Effective Teams: Forms teams with appropriate and diverse mixes of styles, perspectives, and experience. Establishes common objectives and a shared mindset. Creates a feeling of belonging and strong team morale. Shares wins and rewards team efforts. Fosters open dialogue and collaboration among the team. Creates a team that works well cross-functionally.
Organizational Learning: Learns quickly when facing new situations. Experiments to find new solutions. Takes on challenges of unfamiliar tasks. Extracts lessons-learned from failures and mistakes. Expands knowledge base through ongoing curiosity.
- 5+ years of experience in developing online education programs and experiences that are relevant, engaging, and available across multiple platforms
- 5+ years of experience with training or education online product development as a product owner
- 5+ years of leading and managing people and teams
- Experience with regional or program accreditation standards required
- Experience in higher education preferred
- Successful experience in relationship management across a range of partners
- Successful experience in developing and managing effective teams
- Experience in developing curriculum, managing multiple projects simultaneously, creating meeting schedules and budgets, and producing quality courses and programs
- Ability to travel 15–20% of the time
Salt Lake City, Utah, United States