Instructional Assistant I - Dental Hygiene (EXTENDED)
Instructional Assistant I - Dental Hygiene (EXTENDED)
Closing Date/Time: 3/21/2018 11:59 PM Pacific
Salary: See Position Description
Job Type: Part-time
Location: Aptos, CA
Department: Dental Hygiene
The currently advertised part-time, 50% (20 hours per week) Instructional Assistant I position will perform a variety of standard to difficult instructional program support, tutoring and administrative activities in support of the Dental Hygiene program.
In addition, an Instructional Assistant I position eligibility pool may be established in order to fill other part-time or substitute assignments as needs arise.
- Prepares, compiles, collates, maintains, updates and disseminates instructional materials in accordance with instructors' directions
- Develops and presents learning materials and instructional exercises to individuals and groups
- Tutors students individually and/or in small groups to reinforce class material taught in the Dental Hygiene program while keeping abreast of Dental Hygiene program changes
- Coordinates materials, equipment, facilities and supplies for classes
- Sets up, installs, maintains and services equipment, materials and supplies used in dental hygiene classes, workshops and supplemental tutoring sessions
- Trains students and others in the safe use of specialized dental office equipment (e.g. x-ray unit, film processor and duplicator), computer hardware and software, and procedures and processes
- Administers and scores tests and examinations
- Answers students' questions and advises regarding dental hygiene assignments; including the full range of dental hygiene courses taught in the first two years of college
- Assists in completing and processing various forms, certificates and other documents
- Maintains physical environment and condition of facility and its equipment
- Maintains student records; keeps other detailed records such as budget and financial records
- Maintains an inventory of and requisitions supplies and equipment
- Maintains the security of special, technical or hazardous materials, supplies and equipment
- Operates standard office equipment and instructional media
- Prepares periodic and special reports
- Attends to a variety of office administrative details such as arranging for the repair of equipment, transmitting information and keeping reference materials up to date
- Assists in the recruitment and selection of student assistants and provides instruction in safe work procedures
- May conduct workshops, orientations and meetings
- Performs related duties as required or assigned
Education and Experience:Equivalent to completion of two (2) years of college with college level, lower division* coursework in dental hygiene, dental assisting or biology *(transfer-level, sophomore or above) which will provide the knowledge and skills to support the Dental Hygiene program AND two (2) years of experience in either educational support work which has included interaction with students in a classroom or tutorial setting, or work in a dental office setting including front office administration and sterilization practices.
Please note: additional experience that would provide the required subject matter expertise as outlined above may be substituted for the education on a year-for-year basis and/or additional education may be substituted for the experience on a year-for-year basis.
- Subject matter
- Effective instructional techniques
- Principles, theories, practices, methods and equipment of a dental hygiene laboratory in an educational setting
- Health and safety practices related to the Dental Hygiene program
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)/Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) regulations
- Dental materials and supplies including air compressor and vacuum systems
- Hazardous materials management, dental equipment and repair
- Digital radiology and nitrous oxide analgesia equipment
- Standard office practices and procedures including filing and the operation of office equipment, including personal or on-line computers
- Detailed recordkeeping and budget tracking
- Correct English usage, including spelling, grammar and punctuation
- Computer dental software and its applications (e.g. Dentrix)
- Safely operating, maintaining and demonstrating the use of specialized equipment (e.g. x-ray unit, film processor and duplicator), supplies and materials
- Applying and explaining instructional methods and procedures
- Reading, understanding and presenting course materials to students
- Keeping abreast of Dental Hygiene program changes
- Coordinating multiple projects and meeting deadlines
- Maintaining accurate records, files and databases; including the use of computer dental software
- Preparing clear and concise reports, correspondence and similar written materials
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work including those from diverse backgrounds
- Understanding and following oral and written instructions
- Operating a personal computer to enter, edit and retrieve data and generate reports
- Effectively operating and maintaining an orderly instructional environment
Other Minimum Requirements:
- Specified positions may require registration, licensure or certification related to the assigned instructional program area
- Ability to work in restricted spaces
- Ability to bend and lift up to 20 pounds safely
- Must be willing and able to work at various campus sites
- Current Registered Dental Assistant (RDA) certification
- 2 years of dental assisting experience
- X-ray certification
Salary: $1,557 to $1,717 per month to start; seven-step schedule to $2,087 per month. Part-time, 50% assignment (20 hours per week), 11 months per year; Monday - Friday, 8hours to be arranged with hours to be arranged and evenings and weekends as required. Position scheduled to begin as soon as possible pending Governing Board ratification. Salary is subject to proration based on beginning date of assignment.
*Cabrillo College reserves the right at its discretion to hire classified and confidential employees at a higher starting step placement, up to step three, in acknowledgement of an individual's previous job-related work experience. Please note: It is the applicants responsibility to ensure their application materials include the work related experience they wish to be considered for a higher step placement. The Human Resources department will make their determination based on the information in the application materials received.
Each employee hired into a classified position shall contribute to membership dues or service fee or charitable contribution at the current rate of gross salary per month.
Please Note: This part-time assignment is not eligible for insurance-related benefits or PERS retirement benefits
**To be considered, each applicant MUST SUBMIT:
- Completed online Employment Application
- Job-related resume
- Verification of educational qualifications (Foreign transcripts must be translated to determine equivalency to U.S. standards. Any fee for such translation is paid by the applicant.)
- Transcripts from all colleges attended (unofficial transcripts, copies, and downloads are acceptable) to demonstrate the qualification re: college coursework listed in this announcement. (If selected, it is the responsibility of the candidate to provide official transcripts, diplomas, degrees, or other documents as may be requested.) OR
- Verification of experience qualifications: Experience may be substituted for the education requirement on a year-for-year basis. Applicant must provide written evidence that proves additional experience is equivalent for purposes of substitution.
- Current Registered Dental Assistant (RDA) certificate
- Current X-Ray certificate
Please Note: To ensure an accurate evaluation of your application materials, please submit information regarding your education, experience, knowledge and abilities as they relate to the minimum qualifications. When filling out the online application, it is important that you fill out all sections completely. Do not leave blank spaces noting "see resume". When adding attachments, please redact ALL of the following items which appear on any attachment before you submit it: social security number, birth date, age, gender, birth place and personal photos.
Please notify the Human Resources Department if you require any special accommodation(s) in meeting these requirements.
Selection Procedure: Applications will be reviewed by a search committee, which will determine the applicants to invite for interviews based on appraisal of qualifications as documented by application materials submitted. Performance exam(s) may be administered.
Candidates selected for employment with Cabrillo College must agree to be fingerprinted, provide current tuberculosis test results, provide proof of eligibility for employment in the United States and present a valid Social Security card and driver's license upon hire.
Application Deadline: All application materials MUST be received in the Human Resources Department by 11:59 p.m. on: Wednesday, March 21, 2018.
Cabrillo College seeks applications from all qualified individuals. It is the continuing goal of Cabrillo College to hire and retain staff that reflect the rich diversity and cultural heritage of the college district and its student body.
Cabrillo College currently provides full-time employees a benefit stipend contribution for medical, dental, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and eligible dependents. Please note: Employee who work part-time contracts will receive a pro rata benefit stipend based on the percentage of assignment.
Full-time and *part-time classified employees are required to join the California Public Employee's Retirement System (CalPERS) and as such contribute up to 7% of their monthly salary to CalPERS on a pre-tax basis.
Note: Classified-hourly employees are not eligible for insurance-related benefits or PERS retirement benefits.
Each employee hired into a classified position shall contribute to membership dues, service fee or charitable contribution at the current rate based on gross salary per month.
*Part-time refers to 1,000 hours/125 days or more per fiscal year.
To apply, please visit: https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/cabrilloedu