Assistant Manager, Student Accounts
William & Mary invites qualified applicants to apply for the Assistant Manager, Student Accounts position. The successful candidate will have strong customer service and supervisory skills. Additionally the ideal candidate, will possess solid skills in systems and have a background in student accounting.
The Assistant Manager, Student Accounts leads the customer service area of the Bursar’s Office and ensures that the student accounts receivable customer service area is providing prompt, courteous and efficient service to all customers. The position is also charged with ensuring the accurate and timely analysis and refunding of over payments as well as the monitoring of all delinquent student accounts as well as the timely referral of those accounts to the collections area within the Bursar’s Office. The Assistant Manager is also responsible for maintaining fiscal records to ensure accountability of funds.
Reporting to the Manager, Student Accounts the Assistant Manager has three (3) direct reports. Two (2) Customer Service Representative and one (1) Payment Plan Accountant.
Specific responsibilities include (but not limited to):
- Oversee the management of student receivables, ensuring timely collections. Ensure past due accounts are handled within State and College policies. Reconciles Banner student with Banner finance.
- Analyze student account records to ensure proper handling of refunds. Manage all phases of the student refunding process with Banner and TouchNet. Ensure rules are established within the system and refunds are being calculated properly following college, state and federal policies.
- Determine accounts that are not meeting payment plan contract obligations and refers them to internal collections.
- Analyze current workflow processes with the student accounts customer service area and recommend improved practices to change.
- Remain current on new updates/releases of both Banner as well as TouchNet as they apply to billing process, refunding and payment plan. Reviews processes and new modules, recommends and implements changes that enhance performance. Oversees comprehensive testing of Banner accounts receivable and TouchNet student systems prior to release to a production environment.
Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or related field or the equivalent combination of education, training and with experience directly related to the position.
- Working knowledge of federal regulations governing Title IV funds.
- Knowledge of 1098 T reporting and federal regulations.
- Working knowledge of generally accepted accounting practices ( GAAP), particularly in the area of accounts receivables.
- Demonstrated proficiency with mathematical calculations, with the ability to perform financial reconciliations.
- Demonstrated knowledge of supervisory principles and practices, with the demonstrated ability to lead, mentor and oversee the work of others.
- Strong proficiency with a variety of software applications and databases, with strong skills in MS Word and Excel, automated accounting/finance systems, and web-based applications. Familiarity with student account billing systems and managing a complex student information system or financial accounting software system.
- Excellent problem solving skills, with the ability to exercise sound judgement in resolving a multitude of technical and non-techncial issues.
- Strong analytical skills with the demonstrated ability to analyze and extract data and produce reports as needed.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a strong customer service orientation, the proven ability to resolve a variety of customer service issues, work effectively with the campus community, students and parents while using discretion and diplomacy in all interactions.
- Effective oral and written communication, with the ability to collaborate effectively within a team, maintain positive relations consistently, while exercising sound judgment while performing all responsibilities.
- Self-directed with strong organizational skills and the proven ability to independently manage multiple relationships and priorities concurrently with fluidity in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment.
- Progressively responsible experience in an accounts receivable, accounting or finance function.
- Experience overseeing the work of others.
- Strong background in customer service/ customer relations.
- Experience using a complex student information or automated accounting system.
Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business or related field is highly preferred.
- Working knowledge of TouchNet system is desirable.
- Familiarity with using Banner (student and finance) and reporting tools is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of Banner (Finance module) or similar oracle based ERP system.
- Knowledge of Commonwealth of Virginia policies and procedures governing financial operations is a plus.
- Experience working in higher education, particularly in a Student accounts, Bursar’’s Office or Financial Aid is highly desirable.
- Experience working in a customer service, supervisory function is highly preferred.
- Experience working in a student accounts accounting function is desirable.
- Experience working with Banner Finance, or similar ERP module system is a plus.
The College of William & Mary values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching and service missions of the university. The College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.