Posting Number: 0000760
PS Position#: 00000295
Position Status: Full-Time
Salary: Starting salary range of $100,000 - $110,000 is based on the Lee College Administrative/Administrative Support Salary Scale, E81. Placement on scale is commensurate with education and related work experience.
Department: VP of Finance & Administration
Job Summary/Basic Function:
The Controller is the chief accountant of the College and administrator of the Business Office ensuring efficient and effective service to the student body, faculty, and staff in all financial activities. The duties of the Controller include overall accounting responsibility for cash management, annual audit, investments, accounts payable, general ledger accounting, and other assignments specified by the Vice President of Finance and Administration. This position manages the day-to-day activity associated with accounting for and ensuring adequate control of the financial resources of the college. The Controller ensures compliance with generally accepted accounting principles as well as Federal, State, and agency regulation and oversees the timely and accurate preparation of the annual financial statements and other regular reporting required by the State.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Directs and supervises daily accounting operations ensuring adherence to established standards of accounting principles, government statutes and regulations.
- Responsible for the application of advanced accounting principles including but not limited to regular and ad hoc financial reporting, reconciliation of cash/investments, ledger maintenance, property management, travel expense, capital project accounting, and a variety of complex regular and special assignments.
- Directs and reviews financial reporting processes, audits, and activities for the Business Office.
- Responsible for the preparation of monthly Board financial and management reports.
- Responsible for the preparation of annual audited financial reports and assists with the annual audit.
- Responsible for cash management, fixed assets, and the management of the college's grant accounts.
- Responsible for the preparation of various year-end reports to agencies of the State, including the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, Legislative Budget Board, and Texas Comptroller's office.
- The Controller is responsible for reconciling income statement and balance sheet accounts and recommending and/or making corrections as needed.
- Consistently reviews current processes for improvement and automation opportunities to enhance financial reporting procedures and for compliance with federal, state, and local regulations.
- Develops and recommends policies, procedures, and guidelines for recording financial information and improving accounting processes in conformity with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Records all bond issue transactions ensuring compliance with bond indenture and reports annual bond statistics to external governing bodies.
- Liaises with banking partners to maintain successful banking relationships.
- Assists in the development of the annual operating budget for the College.
- Responsible for the oversight of all tax related items to the Business and Finance Division, 1099, etc.
- Collaborates with Information Technology staff to identify and recommend improvements to ensure integrity of the accounting system.
Additional duties include, but are not limited to:
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Lee College does not discriminate on the basis of gender, disability, race, color, age, religion, national origin, or veteran status.
- Bachelor’s (or higher) degree in Accounting
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Five (5) years of related work experience
- Prior supervisory experience
- Demonstrated working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and FASB and GASB pronouncements
- Comprehensive knowledge of Annual Financial Reporting audit processes
- Comprehensive knowledge of Federal and State annual reporting requirements
- Demonstrated knowledge of management practices within a complex budgetary environment
- Excellent planning, organization and communication skills to interact effectively with individuals at all levels of the organization
- Advanced proficiency in business applications, such as Microsoft Office Suite
- Knowledge of automated financial systems
- Proven experience in effectively supervising, leading, and delegating tasks and authority
- Maintaining confidentiality of work related information and materials
- Ability to analyze financial data and prepare financial reports, statements, and projections
- Ability to operate strategically and on a detailed level
- Previous work experience in a higher education setting
Campus/Location: Main Campus - Baytown, TX
If other, provide location:
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants:
This position requires applicants to attach the following documents: resume, cover letter, and copies of transcripts for all completed college work. (Official transcripts required upon employment.)
In addition, applicants must include a minimum of three (3) professional references in the Reference section of the online application.
Please do not mail, email, fax, or deliver any documents outside of the electronic application process.
To apply, visit https://jobs.lee.edu/postings/4735
Lee College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, which encourages applications from qualified females, minority groups, veterans, and disabled individuals. It is the policy of Lee College to fully comply with the equal opportunity provisions of all applicable regulations and not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of gender, disability, race, color, age, religion, national origin, or veteran status in areas such as recruitment, selections, training, promotion, demotion, layoffs, terminations, rates of pay, or any other forms of compensation or benefits.