English as a Second Language Instructor
Valparaiso University (VU) seeks an ESL instructor to teach in its dual-degree program at Dalian Jiaotong University (DJTU) in the city of Dalian, Liaoning Province, China. The ESL instructor will provide English language instruction at all levels to four sections of approximately 25 students each. Instructors will spend Fall and Spring semesters at DJTU. Employment will be for one academic year. Contracts may be renewed at the discretion of the University.
Along with a competitive salary and benefit package, all travel and housing costs will be provided.
- Teaches ESL courses to Chinese national students employing approved curricula:
- Reading and Writing
- Speaking and Listening
- Technical English (e.g.; Mechanical and Civil Engineering, Business);
- Develops a code of conduct for the classroom which is consistent with established administrative policies and develops rules of classroom behavior which are enforced in a fair and just manner;
- Creates syllabi, lesson plans, and calendars;
- Completes required administrative tasks (attendance recording, announcements, grade etc.);
- Coordinates and interacts with DJTU faculty and staff in accordance with DJTU’s standard operating procedures;
- Coordinates and interacts with VU faculty and staff in accordance with VU’s standard operating procedures;
- Develops relationships with students and serves as an ambassador of VU by actively exemplifying the culture, values, and standards of the University and encourages students’ matriculation to VU;
- Participates in the on-going development of curriculum, courses, assessments, and materials.
- MA TESOL, MA in Applied Linguistics, MA in Second Language Teaching, or MA in a related field;
- Possession of native-speaker fluency in oral and written English;
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Knowledge of Chinese;
- International academic experience (instructor or student);
- Teaching experience in a college setting.
Please submit a cover letter, CV, teaching statement, and the names and contact information for three professional references at http://apply.interfolio.com/49508.
Candidates should be interested in working at a university engaged in issues in Christian higher education in the Lutheran tradition. Successful applicants will demonstrate a commitment to cultural diversity and the ability to work with individuals or groups from diverse backgrounds. In addition to strong academic qualifications and excellence in teaching, the University highly values experience in working across cultural and other significant differences.
Valparaiso University does not unlawfully discriminate and aims to employ persons of various backgrounds and experiences to develop and support a diverse community. Its entire EOE policy can be found at: http://www.valpo.edu/general-counsel/policies/equal-opportunity-policy/.
Employment at Valparaiso University will require a satisfactory criminal background check.