Yosemite Community College District/Central Services
Salary: Range 29, $3,679 to $4,705 per month
2017-2018 Classified Salary Schedule
40 hours per week, 12 months per year (May include evenings and weekends)
Appointments are hired at the first step of the range. The second step is paid after the first year of satisfactory service with subsequent steps annually thereafter to a maximum sixth step.
Complete job description and application available online at: https://yosemite.peopleadmin.com/postings/3308
Under direction, performs advanced technical financial and accounting work related to the evaluation, processing, preparation, maintenance and verification of payroll records; prepares and maintains complex and specialized technical financial reports and statements; and performs related work as assigned.
This is the second and advanced level technical class in the Payroll Support Series within the Yosemite Community College District (YCCD). Incumbents process and reconcile assigned payrolls to the District accounting system, and also prepare complex payroll-related reports, records and summaries. Incumbents must utilize technical accounting knowledge to make decisions and complete assignments.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Incumbents in this class work under the direction of the Payroll Supervisor, receiving occasional supervision while working toward a definite objective that requires use of a wide range of procedures. Incumbents plan and/or determine specific procedures or equipment required to meet assigned objectives and solve non-routine problems, referring only unusual matters to a supervisor.
An incumbent in this class does not directly lead or supervise other full-time employees, but may assign, direct and/or monitor the work of subordinate full time, part time, and/or student employees on a project or assignment basis.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The knowledge and ability requirements are representative of essential duties. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
• Methods, practices and procedures pertaining to technical payroll accounting and fiscally related record management systems.
• Automated payroll record management, storage and retrieval system.
• Financial and payroll related report preparation and format.
• Legal mandates, policies and operational guidelines pertaining to payroll and fiscally related matters.
• Organization and planning methods, trends, techniques and practices.
• Perform technical and responsible payroll functions.
• Monitor, review and analyze fiscal and financial files, records, summaries and reports.
• Perform technical accounting and payroll audits and analyses.
• Make complex arithmetical calculations and verify the results.
• Effectively and efficiently operate computers and other business office machines and equipment.
• Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work.
Education and Experience
Any combination of education, experience and/or training that would likely provide the above-required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. Typical background patterns that would provide the knowledge, skills and abilities are:
• Experience: Two years equivalent to Payroll Technician at YCCD.
OR Pattern II
• Education: Possession of an associate’s degree from an accredited college or university, with major course work in general accounting, finance or a closely related field.
• Experience: Four years of sub-professional payroll work, including two years performing work at a technical level that included responsibility for account maintenance in a computer-assisted payroll management system.
Example of Duties
• Coordinates and performs difficult technical payroll accounting work that includes assembling, tabulating, calculating, verifying, and filing highly complex payroll-related data.
• Receives and processes payroll claims for classified, certificated and student and other personnel; audits and enters claims into the District accounting records system; audits, calculates and enters necessary corrections and adjustments to a variety of payroll records and reports.
• Performs complex computations involving gross pay, retirement, and taxes; verifies yearly earnings and monitors contract calculations; prepares accounting register calculations, verifying account numbers, fund sources, and retirement status; accounts for pay decreases due to leaves, terminations, disciplinary actions, and other reasons; calculates total salary and total claim batches in order to balance payroll to the system.
• Verifies and updates employee eligibility and enrollment in various retirement systems; prepares and creates retirement system membership authorization codes; performs technical analysis and auditing of payroll retirement reports to ensure accurate reporting to the State Teachers Retirement System (STRS), the Public Employees Retirement System (PERS), APPLE and other retirement systems; executes mandated adjustments.
• Determines employer retirement contribution payments and submits warrant requests to Accounts Payable.
• Reviews, verifies and reconciles payroll registers, employee status reports, insurance detail reports and other documents.
• Reviews and updates pay rate cards; determines eligibility for step movements and/or other pay changes; adjusts rate cards as appropriate.
• Interprets and provides information regarding complex legal mandates, policies, regulations and operational guidelines to District personnel.
• Provides complex technical payroll information to county, state and federal agencies; prepares required payroll-related documents and reports.
• Assists District staff in resolving unusual and complex payroll problems, issues and concerns.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
Licenses and Certificates
YCCD is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.