Senior Public Relations and Branding Associate
When Bay Path opened its doors to students in downtown Springfield, MA in 1897, it had a very clear goal: to provide a practical, affordable, and career-oriented education to meet the needs of companies, organizations, and communities. From the beginning, Bay Path prided itself on being entrepreneurial, constantly pushing the boundaries of the academic experience to fit the student. To start them on the road of success. We still do.
Today, that spirit and philosophy is more important than ever in higher education. At Bay Path, it's not just the number and breadth of undergraduate and graduate programs that defines us-and we have many-but it is our ability to connect the classroom to learning to leadership to experience to career that is at the core of what we do best. We know the work that needs to be done.
Bay Path University, an independent and not-for-profit institution, was named Among Fastest Growing Baccalaureate Colleges by the Chronicle of Higher Education Almanac, and is a member of the Women's College Coalition. With a main campus in Longmeadow, MA and four satellite locations, (East Longmeadow, Sturbridge, Concord, Springfield), Bay Path offers undergraduate, graduate (for women and men) degrees, and professional certificates.
We're committed to preparing our students to navigate a constantly changing world. Whether it is one of our innovative academic programs, groundbreaking online learning platform, or through our Women as Empowered Learners and Leaders initiative, we educate our students in ways that will help them to grow, learn to adapt, and always to flourish. Be part of the change.
We invite you to visit our website at www.baypath.edu where you can learn more about Bay Path University.
- Position Code: SPRBA
- Job Type: Full-time
- Hours: 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
- Schedule: Monday - Friday; evenings, weekends and events as needed
- Position Location: Longmeadow/Springfield, MA
The Senior Public Relations and Branding Associate will be responsible for delivering effective public relations and branding as it relates to their assigned division(s) and the overall University. Develop external media content and messaging to complement division's strategic marketing efforts to drive both enrollment and awareness. Ensure all public relations plans, and activities, support the division's business objectives and overall institutional mission and brand. Track, analyze and measure results and make recommendations to meet public relations communications goals. Also, support Executive Director to shape overall brand strategy for the University.
- Work with assigned division to develop branded PR communication programs to support business objectives (branded content creation, creative brief preparation, and public relations efforts).
- Incorporate PR into the grander marketing plans, identify issues and opportunities.
- Work with executive director of brand to provide strategic guidance to agency partners and review all PR materials to ensure communication is accurate, relevant and consistent with the institutional messaging and brand position for the division.
- Position and align assigned division within the greater institutional branding efforts.
- Proactively write press communications including pitches, press releases, blog posts, news stories and social media for achievements, partnerships, new offerings, events, faculty accomplishments etc.
- Be a part of new product development (new programs or degrees) from concept to go-to-marketing planning and launch.
- Identify reporters and industry contacts and initiate media coverage.
- Create and maintain an editorial calendar for division media content distribution, work in conjunction with overall institutional PR calendar and plans.
- Develop social media plans and content to support PR and brand strategy for division.
- Assist with writing, editing, and optimization of Web and other online-friendly copy, ensuring compliance with best practices and consistency with overall brand.
- Research media coverage, industry trends and competitive landscape to develop relevant story ideas.
- Track and analyze press coverage and manage/scan press clippings for reports and recaps and work with the executive director of brand to evaluate the effectiveness of external communication programs.
- General copywriting and support as needed for overall PR department.
- Participate and help manage communications for University events which may require attending events in the evening or on weekends.
- Identify objectives and strategies to increase prospective student, current student, alumni/donors and parent/family relations with BPU through the use of public relations.
- Bachelor's degree required with a Major concentration in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, Journalism, English or related discipline.
- 5 years experience in an external communications role, corporate communications and/or Public Relations agency.
- Experience pitching both local and national consumer and trade media.
- Proficient in Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snap Chat and all relevant social media tools.
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills with strong and persuasive writing, proofing, and editorial abilities. Fluent in AP style.
- Ability to think strategically, be able to see the big picture and drive projects from development to completion.
- Ability to effectively partner with direct management, team members, clients and PR agency teams, and work well with all levels of employees.
- Strong project management skills, including proven ability to manage multiple priorities and programs. Ability to meet tight deadlines and execute flawlessly on projects in a fast-paced often pressured environment.
- Positive attitude and excellent customer service.
- Proven ability to handle sensitive and confidential information with discretion, and possess a high level of accuracy with information.
- Valid driver's license.
- Must successfully pass the online Safe Driving Course and driving record check at time of hire and annually thereafter.
- Must successfully pass safe driving course within 30-days of employment.
- If you operate a University owned, leased or personal vehicle at any time while performing your duties you must follow all policies and procedures outlined in the Operations Manual. You must have a valid driver's license and must successfully pass the online safe Driving Course and driving record check at time of hire and annually thereafter. Additionally, you must report any driving offense, on or off company time, which causes a loss, suspension, or any other change in your license status. You must report this change within one business day of the offense. You can report this change to the Human Resource Department or your direct supervisor. Failure to do so can lead to disciplinary action, up to and including terminations.
- Ability to adhere to University policies and procedures.
- Should be committed to a culture of diversity, respect and inclusion; demonstrated ability to build working relationships with people having a wide variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences different from ones' own.
- General knowledge of the University's mission, purpose, and goals and the role this position plays in achieving those goals.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Bay Path University is a diverse community devoted to proactively nurturing a campus-wide culture that promotes and ensures respect, inclusion and safety for all members regardless of race, color, national origin, age, gender, religion, sexual orientation and gender identity, socio-economic background, or physical ability. We are one University that opens our hearts and minds to conversations, to learning and to creating a community that is welcoming of all. Regardless of position, it is expected that each employee will embrace this commitment and demonstrate an attitude of respect toward and acceptance of all members of our community.
Bay Path University will become a smoke- and tobacco-free community as of July 1, 2018.
All offers of employment are contingent on satisfactory background checking.
Applicants for this position should attach a cover letter, resume / curriculum vitae, the contact information for four (4) professional, work related references and any other relevant information pertaining to this position and your candidacy. Please apply online. Faxes and emails will not be accepted.
An Equal Opportunity Employer, Bay Path University is committed to fostering diversity in its student body, faculty, and staff.