Senior Staff Assistant – Purchasing Assistant
Empire State College was established in 1971 by Dr. Ernest Boyer as a distinctive statewide institution focused on innovative and nontraditional teaching and learning.
The college continues its 47-year commitment experimenting with new, flexible, and individualized modes of learning through such practices as mentoring students throughout their academic studies, creating individualized degree plans, valuing learning gained from life and work experience, building professional and social student support communities and creating flexible modes of delivery to meet students' diverse learning preferences. The college now boast over 75,000 proud and successful alumni and partners while serving appropriately 17,500 students a year who want to expand their personal and professional horizons.
Empire State College is a part of the SUNY System and is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. With headquarters in Saratoga Springs, New York, ESC serves mostly working adults pursuing associate, bachelor's and master's degrees online and onsite at 35 locations across the state of New York and abroad.
SUNY Empire State College, Office of Business Services, seeks a Purchasing Assistant (State title: Senior Staff Assistant) at our Saratoga Springs, New York location.
This position will be part of the procurement office and will work with contract administration, vendor relations, bid processes, and procurement regulations. This will include new contracts, contract renewals, contract payments, encumbrance and accounting issues, vendor outreach and development, decisions pertaining to award advertising, and formal and informal bid processes. The bid process includes working closely with the requesting office in the development of a bid document (RFP), following State regulations pertaining to advertising, discretionary thresholds, vendor communication, bid openings, and navigation of the NYS contract approval process through SUNY, the Attorney General, and the State Comptroller. This position will be focused on IT contracts and real property leases.
Responsibilities include, but may not be limited to:
- Assist in the development of an e-procurement system
- Outreach and training with procurement stakeholders
- Regulation compliance, data collection and reporting, and FOIL requests
- Develop a thorough knowledge of State procurement rules and regulations related to real property leases, and an understanding of current Information Technology products, systems and concepts
This position will work closely with the Accounts Payable Office, the Office of Administration, as well as SUNY System Administration and the Office of the State Comptroller. Occasional travel is expected to College Centers, training sessions, and SUNY Procurement Group Conferences. Required will be the ability to exhibit sound independent decision-making within the confines of a regulated environment.
- Knowledge of IT products and concepts
- Experience working with real property leases or capital projects
- Experience working in SUNY
- Experience working within a regulated public sector adhering to multiple sets of rules, regulations and targets
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize, multi-task and adhere to deadlines
- Expertise using Microsoft Office products, Word, Excel etc.
- Bachelor's degree
- At least 2 years' experience in procurement
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Attention to detail and critical thinking skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Experience at working both independently and in a team oriented, collaborative environment
- May involve occasional travel
- VISA sponsorship is not available for this position
Rank/Salary: $45,000+, dependent on qualifications.
Applications Due by: Applications accepted until position is filled.
Empire State College is an EOE employer.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE ADA COORDINATOR AT (518) 587-2100, ext. 2240. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (518) 587-2100, ext. 2800. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE SAFETY AND SECURITY WEBSITE AT http://www.esc.edu/safety-security