Assistant Professor - Philosophy
Job Description Summary
Saint Leo University is one of the largest and most innovative Catholic universities in the United States. Saint Leo enrolls students at the traditional University Campus, at more than 40 education centers and offices, and through SLU Worldwide. University-wide, Saint Leo enrolls students from 49 states, the District of Columbia, three U.S. territories, and 86 countries. Saint Leo University ranks as one of the nation's leading providers of higher education for active duty military and veterans, and it is a nationally recognized leader in online education.
The Department of Religion is seeking qualified candidates for a nine (9) month, full-time faculty appointment to teach Philosophy courses at our University Campus in Saint Leo, Florida. Requirements of the incumbent include but are not limited to teaching eight classes per year, advising students, and performing service to the University and the department.
An exceptional candidate possessing a doctorate degree with experience may be considered at the Associate level.
Candidates possessing a Master's degree from a regionally accredited institution with 18 hours of graduate study and/or credentials to teach Philosophy courses may be considered at the instructor level.
Review of candidate materials begins immediately for anticipated start date of August 9, 2018.
In addition to curriculum vitae, the following documents are required for consideration. In step two of the application process, you will be asked to upload the following additional documents of the application process:
- Values Statement
- Teaching Philosophy
- Cover Letter
- Transcripts - see special instructions
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- Letter of Recommendation 3
- Student Evaluations (six classes minimum)
- Three letters of recommendation (all should be professional references and at least one from a recent superior) If you do not have those documents at the time of application, please upload a text or word document stating, "Recommendations will be sent independently." Recommendation letters can be mailed to Academic Affairs at the address stated below.
- Values statement (500 words or less). Potential candidates are expected to review Saint Leo University's Mission, Vision, and Values Statements and summarize how they see their individual values in relation to the Universities values, goals, objectives and priorities.
- Teaching philosophy (500 words or less), which highlights how your teaching and administrative philosophy and practices fit the Mission and Values of Saint Leo University
- Official transcripts (including WES evaluation/translation if from an international university)
- Student evaluations from the last year (at least six classes, an even mix of graduate and undergraduate).
*Official transcripts for Master, Graduate, and Doctorate degrees are required to complete your application packet and are to be issued directly to Saint Leo University from the respective education institution.*
Transcripts that are "Issued to Student" or issued to another institution are not accepted.
Digital and/or electronic transcripts cannot be accepted at this time.
A certified evaluation and translation is required for foreign transcripts from World Education Services (WES). Expenses for official transcripts are the responsibility of the applicant.
Please have transcripts and certified evaluations mailed to:
Attn: Veronica Mantegna
Saint Leo University
Academic Affairs - MC 2006
PO Box 6665
Saint Leo, Florida 33574
The faculty member will be required to:
- Teach 8 classes per year;
- Advise students;
- Engage in curriculum development;
- Support recruiting efforts;
- Demonstrate professional development (e.g., scholarly research);
- Undertake community service in keeping with the school's Benedictine values; and
- Demonstrate the ability to use discipline-related technology.
Seeking candidate with Master's degree or Ph.D. in Philosophy or related field from a regionally accredited institution with 18 hours of graduate study and/or credentials to teach Philosophy courses.
Master's degree from a regionally accredited institution with 18 hours of graduate study and/or credentials to teach Philosophy may be considered at the instructor level.
Ph.D. in Philosophy or related field from a regionally accredited institution with 18 hours of graduate study and/or credentials to teach Philosophy courses. Candidates with two or more years of full-time teaching Philosophy at the post-secondary level are preferred.
Each year from 2012 to 2016, Saint Leo University was named one of Tampa Bay's Top Workplaces by the Tampa Bay Times .
The Top Workplaces in Tampa Bay program was created by the Tampa Bay Times and WorkplaceDynamics. The companies in this survey were ranked based on leadership, compensation and training, workplace flexibility, and diversity.
One of the Top-Ranked Universities in Florida
One of the top-ranked universities in Florida, Saint Leo is a Catholic, liberal arts school serving learners of all faiths.
We are traditional, but we are cutting edge
Established in 1889 by the Order of Saint Benedict of Florida, the university seeks balanced growth in mind, body and spirit for all members of our community. Saint Leo has grown from a peaceful campus in the rolling hills of Central Florida to an institution of international consequence-ranked one of the best regional universities in the South by U.S. News & World Report
Our Tampa-area campus remains committed as ever to student-centered liberal arts education, and is strengthened by the global reach of our regionally accredited online programs and Education Centers in seven states across the U.S., including on many military bases.
We are Catholic, but we are for everyone
Our determination to make higher education more accessible to all has made Saint Leo a world leader in redefining the 21st century university. Saint Leo now serves more than 16,000 students from 49 states and 86 countries-ranking us among the five largest Catholic higher education institutions in the United States. Saint Leo is also one of the nation's 10 leading providers of higher education to the U.S. military.
While we are proudly Catholic, we teach students not because they are Catholic, but because we are Catholic. And our faith compels us to imagine and contribute to a more socially just society.