Professional Research Assistant
University of Colorado School of Medicine
University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus
Department of Pediatrics,
Section of Hematology, Oncology and Bone Marrow Transplantation,
School of Medicine
Professional Research Assistant
Position #740873 and 730470 - Requisition # 11708
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding.
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus is seeking applications for two Professional Research Assistants (Clinical Research). These are full-time University Staff (non-classified) positions. The primary responsibilities of these positions include the coordination of clinical research projects, specimen collection, processing, and tracking for the HTC's pediatric and adult thrombosis, stroke and brain injury, and bleeding disorder research projects. These positions will be responsible for providing research services for patients enrolled in studies or those eligible for hemophilia, thrombosis, and any coagulation-related research studies.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Coordinate investigator-initiated and industry-sponsored clinical research studies focused on patient outcomes and improving the care of pediatric and adult patients with bleeding and clotting disorders.
- Communicate effectively and interact with investigators, hospital and clinic staff, sponsoring agencies, and others to perform clinical research.
- Complete study-related documentation such as source documents, case report forms, and adverse event reports.
- Prepare and complete all IRB submissions including initial submissions, amendments, continuing reviews, unanticipated problems, and study closures.
- Prepare and complete Human Subjects Research Portal submissions.
- Prepare, submit, and maintain required documentation for FDA-regulated trials via IND/IDE applications, amendments, and annual reports.
- Maintain required records of study activity including case report forms, drug accountability records, Investigator Site Files, and other regulatory documents.
- Participate in and support all internal and external audits, inspections, and monitoring visits.
- Educate patients and families on the research protocol requirements and their responsibilities.
- Schedule patient examinations, treatments, and laboratory tests required by study protocols.
- Maintain proficiency in study-specific procedures including, but not limited to: obtaining informed consent/assent, assessing eligibility, interviewing subjects to obtain medical history, administering questionnaires, performing 12-lead ECG, and taking vital signs.
- Maintain proficiency in blood sample collection, processing, and shipping in accordance with IATA regulations.
- Perform data entry, quality assurance, and assist with data analysis for study projects.
- Monitor and approve research financial charges and study subject payments.
- Travel to outreach clinic locations and study-specific Investigator Meetings for training, as needed.
- Adhere to department Standard Operating Procedures
- Assist team members in completing assignments to accomplish team objectives and outcomes.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is $40,000-$48,000 and is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.jobsatcu.com/hr/postings/true.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
- B.S. /B.A. degree in science, social sciences, or related area.
- 2 years relevant clinical research experience or 2 years' experience working in the hemophilia and/or thrombosis field
- Proficiency with MS Office.
Condition of Employment:
- Must successfully pass a drug test through Children's Hospital Colorado
- Must be willing and able to pass a national criminal and sex offender background check
Required Competencies: Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to train on and become proficient in ICH/GCP guidelines.
- Ability to train on and become proficient in the Informed Consent Process.
- Conscientious and meticulous in data extraction and data entry.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to maintain positive working relationships with sponsors, clinical research officers, and other team members.
- Ability to resolve conflicts in a constructive manner
- Ability to respond positively and adjust to meet new or unanticipated work challenges.
- Ability to manage multiple complex research projects concurrently.
- Ability to adhere to local and federal regulations and ethical codes with respect to the protection of human subjects and patient confidentiality and privacy.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Works well in a team environment, but also able to work independently.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references. Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: - Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but full consideration will be given to complete applications received by November 15, 2017. Those who do not apply by November 15, 2017 may or may not be considered. Required Application Materials: When applying at www.cu.edu/cu-careers, applicants must include: 1. A cover letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV or resume 3. The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and email addresses for three professional references. Questions should be directed to Angela.Blue@ucdenver.edu
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20275 - SOM-PEDS Hemophilia Center
Posting Date: Nov 7, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Angela Blue
Posting Contact Email: Angela.Blue@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00740873