Desktop Support Specialist
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Health Sciences Library
Desktop Support Specialist (IT Professional)
Position #00240826 - Requisition 12859
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The Health Sciences Library at the Anschutz Medical Campus has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Desktop Support Specialist position.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
Jobs in this career family develop, maintain, and support computer systems, software and networks. Functions include enterprise operations, distributed computing, academic computing, research computing, computer hardware and software management, computer and compensation, job evaluation, performance and leave management, employee training/development, reward and recognition, employee relations, affirmative action, benefits, employee records/information, and payroll.
Professionals at the intermediate level are responsible for exercising discretion, analytical skill, personal accountability and responsibility in a wide range of areas including academic, administrative, managerial and student services functions. Work involves creating, integrating, applying and sharing knowledge directly related to a professional field.
At the intermediate level, duties may be more limited in scope and are performed with guidance and direction from other professionals.
Nature of Work:
The IT Department at the Health Sciences Library (HSL) provides server administration, web design, and desktop support for both public and staff workstations. This position supports University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus (CU Anschutz) students, library employees and patrons within the library with email and desktop applications. Support extends to the monitoring of Help Desk requests, email and wireless configuration of computers and personal devices, conducting HSL services orientations for new students, one-on-one instruction in the use of applications, and troubleshooting of issues related to hardware and software. This position also provides scheduled and on-demand AV/Media user support to library patrons.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Troubleshoots end-user computer and smartphone issues and provides in-person and remote support to CU Anschutz students, including CU Anschutz students located at CU South Denver. May conduct orientations and timely informational sessions for CU Anschutz students regarding student email, computing best practices, personal information security as well as HSL resources and services.
- Following departmental guidelines, installs, configures and maintains software and settings on staff, circulating, and Teaching Lab computers and devices. Assists in administration and securitization of these devices. Works with Mac and Windows profiles of both public and staff workstations and laptops. Where appropriate, performs imaging of the library's laptops and workstations to ensure devices as well as instructional and application software are operating efficiently and reliably.
- When needed, installs and configures desktop computer hardware on library owned systems. Serves as a resource for Service Desk staff in operation and troubleshooting of in-library technology, including wi-fi, thin client workstations, physical workstations, scanners, laptops, tablets, flat screens, projectors, and microphones. Creates and maintains documentation for Service Desk staff working with clients at public workstations. Proactive in maintaining a secure IT environment; remediates computer virus and malware infections on library devices; reports security issues if encountered.
- Maintains working knowledge of common computer operating systems as well as designated instructional, web browsing, office, and photo editing software. Keeps up to date with end-user technology trends such as smartphone and tablet operating systems.
- Monitors Help Desk system for hardware and software problems reported by library staff. Keeps clients informed of Help Desk ticket status. Provides referral of IT issues to other library departments or campus units when appropriate. Records Help Desk activities that are invoked outside of the Help Desk system.
- Maintains device inventory for the library.
- Provides setup and instruction on audiovisual equipment for meetings held within the Health Sciences Library. This includes assistance with wifi, LCD panels, projectors, and microphones. Coordinates with Technology Support Services for recording events in the library including videoconference events.
- Provides support for online synchronous screen sharing and meeting technologies to include Zoom and Skype.
- Shares in responsibility and execution of long term IT projects.
- Works independently and on teams and committees within the Health Sciences Library and the campus.
- Manages and administers the library's digital sign (Four Winds) as well as dynamic data feeds that are inputs for this sign. Manages additional in-library digital information displays.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary range for this position has been established at $48,624 to $60,000 and is commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong customer service skills.
- Familiarity with replacement and installation of internal computer hardware components.
- Extensive familiarity with end-user operating systems, such as Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Android, iOS and Mac OS X.
- Extensive familiarity with web browsers, webmail, Office365, and Microsoft Office.
- Familiarity with audiovisual technologies, such as microphones/PA, flat panel LCD screens, and projectors.
- Familiarity and experience in a Help Desk support environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or information technology related fields. Full-time IT experience may be substituted for the degree on a year-for-year basis.
- At least 2 years of professional experience with troubleshooting Mac and PC workstations, Windows and Macintosh operating systems, Mac and Android tablets and smartphones, as well as printers, scanners and other computer peripherals to include various types of data and video connection.
- 2 years full-time experience supporting Microsoft Office applications on both PC and Mac workstations
- CompTIA A+ certification
- Experience with marketing and promotion of events and services
- Experience with one or more types of graphics/desktop publishing software, such as: Acrobat, Photoshop, Illustrator, or equivalent.
- Experience with technical writing and creation of IT documentation for both end users and for internal use of IT staff
- Familiarity with Microsoft SharePoint.
- Experience in a VMWare server and/or virtual desktop environment.
- Familiarity with: malware prevention and remediation.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Applications will be accepted until finalists are identified, but preference will be given to complete applications received by March 21, 2018. Those who do not apply by March 21, 2018 may or may not be considered.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Required Application Materials: To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications, 2. A current CV/resume, 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references). Questions should be directed to: [[email protected]]
Job Category: Information Technology
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: D0001 -- Denver Campus - 20570 - AVC-OARS Medical Library
Posting Date: Mar 7, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Lindsie Haggerty
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00003085