Academic Advisor and National Fellowships Coordinator
Logo Posting Number STA00310PO18 Classification Title Student Services Program Coordinator II Internal Title Academic Advisor and National Fellowships Coordinator Campus Columbia 01 College/Division South Carolina Honors College Department South Carolina Honors College Band 5 Advertised Minimum Salary $32,838 Advertised Salary Range $32,838 - $40,000 Based on experience Location of Vacancy Part/Full Time Full Time Hours per week 37.5 Work Schedule
Office hours: USC's core business hours are 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Honors staff are required to participate in events as assigned which may require occasional nights, weekends and travel.Type of Staff Position Full-time Equivalent (FTE) Basis 12 months Job Search Category Student Services
The University of South Carolina System is comprised of the state's flagship university in Columbia (founded in 1801 and currently one of the top 50 "Best Colleges" according to U.S. News and World Report), three regional comprehensive universities (USC Aiken, USC Beaufort and USC Upstate), and Palmetto College consisting of four two-year campuses (USC Lancaster, USC Salkehatchie, USC Sumter, USC Union and Fort Jackson/Extended University). Together, the USC System institutions offer more than 450 degree programs on campus and online and are uniquely positioned to meet the state's educational, cultural, health and research needs. The System employs nearly 14,000 people who work daily to improve the lives of students, fellow South Carolinians and the world. Our diverse engaged faculty and staff enjoy a dynamic and intellectually stimulating work environment.
Advertised Job Summary
The Academic Advisor and National Fellowships Coordinator works with students in two primary ways. The incumbent will be responsible for providing academic advising to up to 160 students each semester, which involves assessing students' curricular needs and opportunities and placing them in appropriate honors classes. Honors College Academic Advisors function as liaisons with first-year advisors and with advisors in academic units; and possess a working knowledge of college curricula, university policy, and campus resources. Using this knowledge, Academic Advisors guide students toward a rich collegiate experience that may include research, study abroad, service learning, and/or internships culminating in graduation and post-graduation success, using available technologies to ensure accurate and effective advising. As Fellowships Coordinator, the incumbent will perform a variety of duties in support of the recruitment and advisement of students considering and applying for national fellowships. This includes facilitating promotion efforts, particularly within the Honors College, conducting workshops, providing individual guidance, and assisting in program administration and development.
The person in this position will be expected to perform the following duties:
- Responsible for academic advising, which involves assessing students' curricular needs and opportunities and placing them in appropriate honors classes.
- Guide students toward a rich collegiate experience that may include research, study abroad, national fellowships, service learning and/or internships culminating in graduation and post-graduation success. Use available technologies to ensure accurate and effective advising.
- Advise, counsel, and support students throughout the entire process of considering and applying for the various national fellowships and scholarships. Communicate the benefits of applying, and train students in the complexities of the application and interview processes for various competitions such as writing essays, completing applications, requesting and obtaining letters of reference, and interview techniques.
- Provide outreach and support to recruit outstanding students who have the potential to win national fellowships by coordinating publicity and promotion efforts including, but not limited to, the development of fellowships newsletter, workshop advertisement, and press releases. Assist with implementing fellowship workshops, information sessions, and special events. Coordinate outreach with campus partner offices and departments.
- Additional duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Director of National Fellowships, in support of other activities of the Honors College or Office of Fellowships and Scholar Programs.
Masters degree in Student Services or related field, or bachelor's degree and 2 years related experience.Preferred Qualifications Knowledge/Skills/Abilities
Applicants must have the ability to function in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment. The successful candidate will be well organized, have excellent written and oral communication skills, be able to deal diplomatically with various constituent groups and be proficient in Microsoft Office Software (Excel, Word and PowerPoint). Strong analytical skills and the ability to interpret information accurately are critical. Some knowledge of USC policies, procedures, and programs is preferred.
Posting Detail Information
Number of Vacancies 1 Desired Start Date 05/01/2018 If Research Grant/Time Limited, give end date Job Open Date 03/07/2018 Job Close Date 03/28/2018 Open Until Filled No Special Instructions to Applicant
Please add your resume and cover letter to this application, along with a list of references including contact phone numbers and email addresses. Applicants selected for an in person interview will be required to provide copies of their undergraduate and graduate (if applicable) transcripts prior to the interview.
Also, please see our two other Academic Advisor postings. We will be filling three Academic Advisor positions this spring: Academic Advisor and Internships Coordinator, Academic Advisor and Fellowships Coordinator, and Academic Advisor and Events Coordinator. You will need to apply to each position separately if you are interested in more than one of the positions.
Positions are advertised for a minimum of five (5) business days on our job website. After five (5) business days, positions can be closed at the discretion of the department at any time. This position is open until filled. This employment site is updated on a regular basis. The length of the recruitment and screening process may vary from position to position, depending upon a variety of factors. Should review of your qualifications result in a decision to pursue your candidacy, you will be contacted by phone or email.Quicklink for Posting http://uscjobs.sc.edu/postings/27617 EEO Statement
The University of South Carolina does not discriminate in educational or employment opportunities on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender, age, disability, protected veteran status or genetics.
Hazardous weather category Non-Essential Safety Sensitive or Security Sensitive No
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Do you have at least a Masters degree in Student Services or related field, or bachelor's degree and 2 years related experience?
- Cover Letter
- List of References and Contact Information