Laboratory Services Manager 1
Laboratory Services Manager 1
Job Number: 78168
The Baxter Laboratory for Stem Cell Biology is seeking a Laboratory Services Manager 1 to maintain the laboratory facilities, supervise staff supporting the operations of a complex research facility, and provide laboratory research support. Apply thorough knowledge of principles, concepts, and methods for assigned area of responsibility.
- Oversee the operation and management of a research or teaching facility; schedule and coordinate use of equipment and/or facility.
- Negotiate and monitor equipment service contracts and warranties with vendors.
- Determine equipment needs, authorize purchase of equipment, and oversee installation of equipment and instruments in collaboration with facilities services staff.
- Perform and/or coordinate preventative maintenance and repair of all equipment; determine proper method of repair.
- Oversee layout, allocation, and tracking of space among multiple labs; manage logistics of laboratory moves; implement plans for renovations of equipment and or/facilities in collaboration with facilities services staff.
- Administer and prepare budgets that include several funding sources.
- Administer health and safety programs and ensure safety compliance; act as resource on safety procedures; provide instruction on routine basis; liaise with school and/or university health and safety office as appropriate.
- Direct work of other staff, including supervision, hiring, promotions, and terminations; determine staffing needs, and ensure efficient utilization of staff.
- The ideal candidate possesses the following skills and experience:
- Primary muscle fiber/muscle cell isolation;
- Molecular expertise - immunofluorescence and in situ hybridization;
- Parabiosis surgery;
- IPSC/stem cell culture and differentiation into cardiomyocyte tissue culture;
- Data analysis - Images, Prism, MATLAB.
- Bachelor's degree and two years of relevant experience, or combination of education and relevant experience.
- Understanding of academic research facility needs.
- General background in a discipline related to the work of specific lab(s).
- Demonstrated supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated experience managing multiple budgets.
- Knowledge and experience in managing facilities, operations, maintenance, space, and equipment administration in a research or teaching setting.
- Excellent communication and customer services skills.
- Ability to coordinate and manage multiple projects in a complex and technical environment.
- Familiarity with health and safety compliance regulations.
- Frequently stand, walk, twist, bend, stoop, squat, grasp lightly, use fine manipulation, grasp forcefully, perform desk-based computer tasks, use telephone, write by hand, lift, carry, push and pull objects weighing over 40 pounds.
- Occasionally sit, kneel, crawl, reach and work above shoulders, sort and file paperwork or parts.
- Rarely climb, scrub, sweep, mop, chop and mix or operate hand and foot controls.
- Must have correctible vision to perform duties of the job.
- Ability to bend, squat, kneel, stand, reach above shoulder level, and move on hard surfaces for up to eight hours.
- Ability to lift heavy objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work in a dusty, dirty, and odorous environment.
- May at times be required to work with or be in areas where hazardous materials and/or infectious diseases are present.
- Specific hazards include, but are not limited to, chemicals, pesticides, and solvents, allergens, bloodbourn pathogens.
- May require work in an environment where animals are used for teaching and research.
- May be exposed to radiation or electromagnetic fields.
- Must perform tasks that require the use of personal protective equipment such as safety glasses and shoes, protective clothing and gloves, etc.
- May work extended or unusual work hours due to research or project requirements and peak work cycles.
- After hours on-call availability required.
Location: School of Medicine
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.