Chief Human Resources Officer (CHRO)
UC San Diego
Chief Human Resources Officer (CHRO)
Filing Deadline: Wed 4/4/2018
Salary Range: Commensurate with Experience
The Chief Human Resources Officer(CHRO) for UC San Diego serves on the Vice Chancellor and CFO's Executive Team. S/he is directly responsible for overseeing all facets of the staff human resources function including strategic planning processes and delivery across the general campus including the Scripps Institution of Oceanography including: talent acquisition, benefits, compensation, employee relations, equal opportunity and staff affirmative action, HR organizational effectiveness, data analytics, labor relations, retirement resources, staff development, temporary services, faculty and staff assistance programs and accommodation, counseling and career services. S/he is also responsible for Senior Management issues across the entire campus including Health Sciences.
The CHRO is responsible for strategic leadership of the HR function as it relates to staff resources, daily supervision of its employees and workflow, and delivery of counsel, services, and HR systems and programs for the University. S/he will be expected to play a leadership role in collaborative partnerships across campus by providing advice, guidance and assistance to senior leadership across UC San Diego. The Chief Human Resources Officer is recognized as an influential leader.
As part of the regular responsibilities of this position, the incumbent: formulates or participates in formulating management positions for processing and/or resolving grievances; Participates in meetings where management positions and/or strategy regarding processing and/or resolving grievances are discussed; Formulates or participates in formulating management positions regarding current and prospective collective bargaining issues; Therefore this position is designated as Confidential under HEERA.
The CHRO should be familiar with labor relations, labor contracts and a highly unionized staff environment. The CHRO will serve as the UC San Diego campus representative for human resources issues to the University of California Office of the President (UCOP) and play an active role in representing campus interests. In addition, will need to work closely with UCOP as it continues to expand and fully implement its UCPath initiative.
• A Master’s Degree in Human Resources Management, Business Administration or related discipline; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Ten years of increasingly responsible Human Resources management experience in a large, complex, and highly matrixed organization.
• Demonstrated experience in a highly regulated environment.
• Current knowledge of Human Resources regulations and legal requirements.
• Expertise in creating a positive and highly engaged employee relations environment and a track record of effective employee relations practices.
• Strong track record of mentoring and developing leadership talent and serving as a key member of the organization strategic leadership team.
• Demonstrated experience working with and leveraging Human Resources information systems.
• Current experience with contemporary HRIT systems.
• Demonstrated broad and contemporary knowledge of all areas of Human Resources.
• Experience in talent acquisition and on-boarding, training and development, labor and employee relations, succession planning, benefits design and administration, and reward systems/compensation, including executive compensation.
• Strong knowledge of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action and a well-developed commitment to enhancing diversity in the organization.
• Demonstrated strategic leadership skills including experience with budget, fiscal management, staff management, and team building.
• Proven experience as a manager able to develop a highly effective human resources infrastructure including selecting, training, organizing, developing, and mentoring Human Resources staff.
• Ability to lead the development and transformation of an organizational culture and to support the organization’s strategic goals of cost containment, affordability, efficient deployment of resources, expansion into new lines of business, innovation, and excellence.
• Additional professional certification in the field of Human Resources.
• Experience with an academic institution, academic medical center, and/or experience in a public institution.
• Demonstrated experience with California labor laws and regulations.
• Demonstrated experience that includes both unionized and nonunion employees.
• Knowledge of the special human resources requirements of a research university with a medical center/teaching hospital would be an advantage.
• Experience with performance improvement systems, including LEAN methodology.
• DMV, DOJ, FBI background checks and clearances are required prior to hire.
• Must possess and maintain a valid California driver's license.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html