The English Instructor is a full-time faculty position located on the Gillette College campus of the Northern Wyoming Community College District (NWCCD). The full-time instructor will teach English courses, provide instructional support in the Writing Center, and contribute to student success initiatives. Duties include curriculum development, use of innovative methodologies, and willingness to integrate technology into classroom and online lessons. Faculty are expected to engage with students inside and outside the classroom, to participate in collegial activity with peers, to participate in on-going professional development, and to be involved with the college governance processes. The instructor will use innovative methodologies to facilitate learning and will be an active participant of assessment of student learning outcomes at the course, program, and institutional levels. This position will also require community outreach and student recruitment and retention efforts.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Proven ability to work as a team player in a collegial environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in written form.
- Ability to think critically and solve problems.
- Demonstrated skill and ability to work closely and cooperatively with the faculty and students in English and other disciplines.
- Knowledge and understanding of student-centered learning practices for traditional and nontraditional students.
- Ability to work with various members of the community locally.
- Ability to work for an organization that believes in academic freedom, freedom of speech, caring regard for colleagues and students, and shared ownership through collaboration.
- Ability and temperament to work with the broad spectrum of students found in a community college environment.
- Knowledge of English and Composition, and Rhetoric.
- Must have a commitment to arts and humanities and a commitment to collaborations with other disciplines.
- Knowledge of the community college mission
- Knowledge, credentials and experience in a secondary discipline (e.g. philosophy, humanities etc.)
- Master’s degree and a minimum of 18 graduate hours in English, Communication or a related discipline.
- English teaching experience. Experience with dual/concurrent enrollment preferred.
- Experience teaching English at a community college preferred.
- Experience using technology in the classroom and other delivery modalities expected.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
- Typical instruction environment
- Working some evening and weekend hours is expected.
- Employer paid retirement plan (16.37% employer paid; .25% employee paid)
- Group Health, Dental and Life Insurance, including Flex Benefits
- Four days per year paid personal leave
- Paid medical, emergency and bereavement leave
- Employee and family tuition waivers
- Three free meals per week in modern campus dining facility
- Free easy-access parking
- Collaborative work environment
- Onsite fitness center and walking track
- Verizon, Microsoft, Dell and HP employee discounts
- Professional development
Gillette College is located in Gillette, WY, the county seat of Campbell County. Located midway between the Big Horn Mountains to the West and the Black Hills of South Dakota to the east. Gillette is a growing, family-friendly community and enjoys a very strong economy due to energy-related industries located there.
Sheridan College is located in historic Sheridan, WY at the foot of the beautiful Big Horn Mountains, minutes away from a variety of outdoor recreational activities. Sheridan is ranked "America's Top Western Town" by True West magazine and is a vibrant community. Sheridan College is a vital component in the community.
Apply online at: https://jobs.sheridan.edu