Visiting Assistant Research Scientist, Materials Science - Illinois Sustainable Technology Center/P
~~Visiting Assistant Research Scientist, Materials Science
Illinois Sustainable Technology Center
Prairie Research Institute, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Illinois Sustainable Technology Center (ISTC) a part of the Prairie Research Institute (PRI) at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign which is centrally located between Chicago, St. Louis, and Indianapolis. PRI houses five large scientific surveys covering a wide range of expertise including biology, water resources, climate, geology, sustainable technology, and archaeology. PRI's mission is to provide objective, integrated scientific research and service, in cooperation with other academic and research units of the University of Illinois and elsewhere, that allow citizens and decision-makers to make choices that ensure sustainable economic development, enduring environmental quality, and cultural resource preservation for the people, businesses, and governments of Illinois.
ISTC is seeking a Visiting Assistant Research Scientist, Materials Science, to conduct research and lead projects related to the areas of material science, bio/chemical processing, hazardous waste reduction/repurposing, energy efficiency/conversion/storage, and/or water/wastewater treatment as part of enhancing research capabilities under the Hazardous Waste Fund.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Effectively manage research as principal investigator including project funds and resources.
• Build an active interdisciplinary externally funded research program.
• Acquire external funding from government agencies, foundations, private entities, etc., with minimal assistance from colleagues
• Establish relationships and collaborate with staff within PRI/UIUC as well as other universities, agencies, and organizations as appropriate.
• Provide authoritative and current information on the results of research projects for the public, other scientists, industry, and/or governmental agencies, and effectively communicate research results through writing and public speaking.
• Supervise and lead staff to achieve success and foster a culture of innovation and high-level performance at both individual and organizational levels. This includes task assignment, scheduling, ongoing performance management with coaching and feedback, career development planning, leave/travel approval, as well as conducting annual performance reviews.
• Contribute in the areas of education, outreach, and/or other service to home unit, PRI, the University of Illinois, and the state of Illinois.
• Actively participate in professional societies and associations.
• Keep abreast of developments in this discipline.
• Perform other duties as needed in order to further the mission and goals of PRI.
Education Required: Ph.D. in Material Sciences, Chemical Engineering, or closely related discipline. Alternate degree fields will be considered/accepted depending on the nature and depth of the experience as it relates to this position
Experience Required: A minimum of 3 years of research experience related to design of materials, multiscale modeling, molecular dynamics, surface and molecular engineering, catalysis, novel synthesis techniques, self-assembly, and related computational or experimental approaches especially in regard to bio/chemical processing, hazardous waste reduction/repurposing, energy efficiency/conversion/storage, and/or water/wastewater treatment. At least one year of management/supervisory experience.
Knowledge Required: Proven track record of working with collaborators and obtaining project funding. Documented record of research accomplishments. Effective communication, personal relations, collaboration, organizational, teamwork, and leadership skills. Demonstrated ability to perform effectively in a diverse and fast-paced work environment consisting of multiple and changing priorities with stringent deadlines, under minimal supervision. Attention to detail, sound judgment, and strong conflict resolution skills. Proficiency in commonly-employed software and databases.
This is a visiting, full-time, academic professional appointment subject to the continued availability of funding and programmatic need. Position may become a regular, non-visiting position at a later date depending on funding and programmatic need. The starting date is negotiable after the closing date. Salary will be commensurate upon qualifications and experience.
Please complete your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a cover letter, CV/resume, and the names and contact information (including e-mail addresses) for three professional references by March 2, 2018. Interviews may be conducted before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after the closing date. All requested information must be submitted for your application to be considered.
For further information regarding application procedures, you may contact Hannah Dorsey at (217) 333-4978 or [email protected].
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Visiting Assistant Research Scientist, Materials Science - Illinois Sustainable Technology Center/Prairie Research Institute (A1800071)
Open Date: 02/02/2018
Close Date: 03/02/2018
Organization Name: IL Sustainable Technology Ctr