Housing Facilities Planner - University Housing (A1800147)
Housing Facilities Planner
University Housing, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
University Housing at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is accepting applications for the position of Housing Facilities Planner. This position functions within the University Housing Facilities Planning unit. Housing Facilities Planning works closely with many units across campus and third party contractors in the design, construction and testing of Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing (MEP) systems. The Housing Facilities Planner position provides oversight during construction and renovation projects for MEP systems.
We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds who can help create and foster communities that strive toward our vision. This includes supporting the academic mission of the University by developing environments conducive to student learning and academic success, respecting, appreciating, advocating for the diversity of our student population, and supporting the holistic development of all of our students. Requirements and qualifications for the position include:
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for designing, estimating, and scheduling MEP construction projects and repair work, as well as other facilities issue in connection with MEP systems, in University Housing facilities.
- Interface with University project managers, project coordinator, other University Housing Facilities Planning staff, project architects and engineers to provide pertinent technical information for consideration and/or inclusion in final design plans.
- Ensure all proposed new and renovated facilities meet building codes, regulations and other legal requirements related to MEP systems.
- Prepare, or assist in the preparation of, MEP drawings and specifications for construction documents, bids, addenda, and change orders, and as requested, review and provide feedback on plans and specifications provided by Facilities and Services staff.
- Inspect, analyze, survey, troubleshoot and recommend solutions related to plumbing, fire protection, heating, ventilation, air conditioning, electrical systems and structural work within University Housing structures and onsite MEP utilities.
- Review and verify MEP drawings, specifications and equipment for new construction and renovations to ensure consistency with architectural plans.
- Assists with observation of construction in connection to MEP engineering design and construction for new buildings and remodeling of existing buildings.
- Evaluate and report on MEP engineering components of University Housing projects.
- Review and verify the accuracy of project shop drawings in relation to conformance with contract documents and design intent of projects.
- Ensure the installation, inspection, and testing of MEP equipment and fixtures meet construction document requirements, and provide end of project punch list as needed.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
Required: Bachelor's degree.
- Minimum of five years' experience designing, estimating, and scheduling MEP construction projects and repair work in a commercial or industrial setting.
- Minimum of three years' experience managing construction projects from design through completion.
- A working knowledge of AutoCAD, Microsoft Office, Excel, and Microsoft Project (or similar), software.
- Bachelors or Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering, or Electrical Engineering.
- Experience working with a team of architects, engineers, maintenance staff, and contractors to resolve project related issues.
- Ability to express information on any phase of project work, in written or oral form, so technical and non-technical personnel can understand.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, set priorities, follow-up and meet deadlines.
- Ability to communicate with all levels of personnel in University Housing, other units across campus, and with third party contractors.
- Ability to monitor and guide construction procedures.
Training, Licenses or Certifications:
Preferred: Knowledge in the application of MEP disciplines such as: ASHRAE Commissioning Process Management (CPMP), ASHRAE Building Energy Assessment Professional (BEAP), and USGBC LEED AP-BD+C.
- Demonstrated knowledge in the application of ASHRAE standards and International Building, Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing, and Fire Codes.
- Demonstrated knowledge of plumbing, fire protection, HVAC and electrical principles and practices.
- Extensive working knowledge of mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems engineering within university housing facilities.
- Working knowledge of current State of Illinois Building, Mechanical, Plumbing, Electrical and Fire Protection codes.
- Knowledge of information technology data and wireless communication principles, practices, and distribution systems within buildings.
- Knowledge of Building Information Management (BIM) processes.
- Knowledge of USGBC LEED requirements for Fundamental and Enhanced Commissioning, Optimizing Energy Performance, Refrigeration Management, Building Energy Metering, and Renewable Energy Solutions.
This is a full-time, 12-month position. The starting date will be as soon as possible after the closing date. Salary is commensurate with experience, and includes an excellent benefits package.
For full consideration, create your candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references by April 6, 2018. Interviews will take place on a rolling basis once the search opens, but no final decision will be made until after the closing date. Official transcript will be required of all final candidates. Please contact a member of the Housing Human Resources team at email@example.com with any questions you may have.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: University Housing
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Housing Facilities Planner - University Housing (A1800147)
Open Date: 03/06/2018
Close Date: 04/06/2018
Organization Name: Hsg Facil-Admin