Note: This job announcement has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and responsibilities required or assigned to an employee in this position.
Under the supervision of the Director of Student Health and Campus Wellness, the Fitness Coordinator is primarily responsible for maintenance and operation of all programs related to fitness areas. The Fitness Coordinator is responsible for the supervision of staff, program development, marketing/public relations, participant retention, and customer service related to the fitness area of the Wellness Center.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Hire, train, supervise and evaluate all staff related to the fitness area.
- Define performance standards and objectives for fitness staff and group fitness instructors.
- Set working schedules for all fitness employees.
- Oversee implementation of the preventive maintenance program for the fitness area;
- Establish proper cleaning schedule and monitors on a regular basis.
- Complete weekly usage reports as requested.
- Develop policies and procedures related to the evaluation of all equipment and facilities.
- Provide short-term and long-term equipment needs proposal.
- Assist and maintain collaboration with co-workers, organizations, and agencies in the community that help to reach the objectives of the Wellness Center;
- Work with departmental staff to provide quality programs for students, faculty, staff, and alumnae.
- Schedule structured activities on a monthly basis.
- Assist Wellness professional staff in the development of creative marketing pieces and leads the department in marketing new programs including social media, weekly emails, and printed marketing materials.
- Oversee the coordination of health and fitness programs offered at the Wellness Center.
- Coordinate and conducts daily fitness assessments.
- Develop new and creative wellness programs.
- Train fitness staff through a systematic professional program developed for each area.
- May be required to teach fitness-related classes as needed.
- Assist in the coordination of special events.
- Develop written policies and procedures as needed to conduct the fitness programs for the Wellness Center for approval by Director.
Educations and/or Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in Exercise Science, Physical Education, Recreation or a closely related field is required. A Master’s degree and at least 2 years of experience in fitness programming, group exercise programming, human relations and fiscal management in a higher education setting is preferred.
This position requires strong customer service focus and must be able to demonstrate experience in working with students as well as the general public. Professional demeanor with the ability to interface with internal and external customers with diplomacy and tact is essential.
Incumbent must be able to demonstrate skills in fitness programs; demonstrate coordination of special events, and demonstrate supervisory skills. The ability to create, develop, and evaluate new programs; demonstrate an ability to market programs and manage budgets; and demonstrate a working knowledge of ongoing health and wellness programs is required.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
Certification from an NIRSA accredited organization (ACSM, NSCA, ACE, NASM). Must be CPR certified.
Spelman College is an EOE/Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran/Title IX Employer and we participate in E-Verify.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE