Associate Vice Chancellor for Student Success
University of Colorado Denver
Office of the Provost
Associate Vice Chancellor for Student Success
Position #744297 - Requisition 12833
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The Office of the Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs has an opening for a full-time University Staff position (unclassified) as Associate Vice Chancellor for Student Success for the University of Colorado Denver Campus.
The University of Colorado Denver is a public urban research university serving more than 15,000 students. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 100 highly-rated undergraduate and graduate degree programs through eight schools and colleges. In the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers-CU Denver is steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
CU Denver provides a vibrant, urban research university experience, with academic programs ranging from the liberal arts and sciences to bioengineering, music industry studies and criminal justice. The classroom extends into the city as students study, network and build careers in the surrounding business district. CU Denver unites quality academics, ambitious research and creative work, civic consciousness and driven students-all in the lively setting of downtown Denver. Read CU Denver Quick Facts here.
CU Denver seeks an Associate Vice Chancellor for Student Success (AVCSS) to champion student success initiatives and lead campus-wide transformational efforts to improve undergraduate student retention and graduation rates. Reporting to the Provost, the AVCSS will create, lead and evaluate initiatives to holistically support student completion across schools/colleges and multiple academic and student affairs units. This position will develop assessment methods that reflect institutional priorities and meet student success goals, including identifying and monitoring key performance indicators. The AVCSS will collaborate with the Center for Faculty Development to provide professional development and training opportunities for faculty and staff, such as inclusive excellence and building assessment competencies, to reinforce a culture of seamless student support across the university. This position will leverage SSC-Campus, in consultation with EAB, and other performance indicator tools to guide campus stakeholders in improving processes and efficiently using resources for student success. The position does not require appointment as a faculty member but that could be an option.
Examples of Work Performed:
- In collaboration with faculty and campus academic and student affairs administrators, develop a five-year Student Success Plan that establishes goals and benchmarks and integrates promising practices to promote year-to-year improvements in student retention and graduation.
- As a key strategist and facilitator, work closely with academic and student affairs units (e.g., admissions, financial aid, registrar, institutional research, undergraduate experience, faculty development, diversity and inclusion) to collectively and seamlessly support the campus's ambitious agenda for student success.
- Leverage the campus's investment in SSC-Campus with other systems and processes to maximize the university's allocation of resources and provide relevant information for faculty, staff and students to best support student retention and completion.
- Identify and track baselines and goals for student success initiatives.
- Develop a communications strategy about the student success initiatives for varied stakeholders (e.g., faculty, staff, students, campus leadership).
- Lead or participate on university committees relevant to student success.
- Supervise two Student Success Project Managers and others as assigned.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
- Earned doctorate or terminal degree from an accredited college or university
- Seven years or more of progressively-responsible higher education experience
- Excellent and effective interpersonal and organizational skills
- An understanding of the interdependence of academic and non-academic aspects of student development and the ability to develop and maintain institutional partnerships that bridge academic and student affairs
- Successful program and project management experience with cross-campus initiatives, including student success, for undergraduate students
- History of working collaboratively with students, staff and faculty
- Leadership of a unit on campus with staff supervision responsibilities
- A demonstrated commitment to inclusive leadership
- Ability to use and understand data from a variety of sources
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be willing and able to travel on behalf of the University as required for the implementation and continued success of the student success initiatives.
- Student affairs and academic affairs leadership experience at a higher education institution with a comprehensive urban campus that serves an ethnically and culturally diverse student population
- Demonstrated success and experience in improving student retention, persistence and time to graduation for undergraduate student populations
- Experience implementing and using the SSC-Campus tool
- Ability to communicate effectively and appropriately both orally and in writing to varied internal and external constituents
- Demonstrated success in implementing and assessing new programs and/or initiatives in a university setting
- Ability to work cooperatively as a team member with students, staff, faculty and administrators
- Demonstrated ability to maintain positive interpersonal relationships
- Understanding of academic principles that contribute to student success as defined by retention and graduation
- Knowledge of national trends, developments and promising practices in student success
- Ability to establish and communicate priorities in an executive setting
- Attention to detail and follow through
- Ability to think creatively and manage competing priorities
Special Instructions to Applicants:Required Application Materials: To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references) Questions should be directed to: Tamara Wilson at Tamara.Wilson@ucdenver.edu
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees. The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Application Deadline: Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Review of applications will begin March 30, 2018 and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Executive
Primary Location: Denver
Department: D0001 -- Denver Campus - 30026 - Provost/VC Academic&Student Af
Posting Date: Mar 6, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Tamara Wilson
Posting Contact Email: Tamara.Wilson@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00744297