Research Specialist 1
Hyde Park Campus
20142 BSD Neurobiology
About the Unit
The laboratory of David Freedman at The University of Chicago investigates the neuronal mechanisms of visual learning, memory and recognition and is looking for a full-time lab manager and research technician to provide support for its research with non-human primates. The successful candidate will enjoy working in a leadership role in dynamic team and contributing to cutting-edge scientific research.
The laboratory is located on the main campus of The University of Chicago, in the Hyde Park neighborhood of Chicago, Illinois
- Assisting in maintaining and documenting animal health and welfare
- Assisting in training non-human primates (M. Mulatta) to perform computer-based behavioral tasks
- Maintaining and documenting the supply of laboratory consumables and equipment
- maintaining equipment and experiment rooms
- training, collaborating,a nd assisting new laboratory personnel
- assisting in surgerya nd other minor procedures
- handling various administrative tasks
- Analytical and problem-solving skills required
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team required
- Ability to learn new techniques quickly and to work in sterile condition
- Good manual dexterity and superior organizational skills required
- Knowledge of research Techniques or methods required
Education, Experience and Certifications:
- Bachelor's degree in a field relevant to the research being conducted required.
- One year's experience in animal research is required, working knowledge of Microsoft Office required, must be able to produce written reports of completed work and procedures.
- Previous experience in a behavioral or neurophysiology laboratory and/or experience with non-human primates preferred.
- Exposure to animals
- Exposure to laboratory chemicals
- laboratory environment
- ability to make repetitive wrist, hand, or finger movements
- Resume, Brief statement of career goals and Cover Letter
NOTE: When applying, all required documents MUST be uploaded under the Resume/CV section of the application
Depends on Qualification
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Job is Exempt?
Drug Test Required?
Does this position require incumbent to operate a vehicle on the job?
Health Screen Required?
Remove from Posting On or Before
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
The University of Chicago is an urban research university that has driven new ways of thinking since 1890. Our commitment to free and open inquiry draws inspired scholars to our global campuses, where ideas are born that challenge and change the world.
We empower individuals to challenge conventional thinking in pursuit of original ideas. Students in the College develop critical, analytic, and writing skills in our rigorous, interdisciplinary core curriculum. Through graduate programs, students test their ideas with UChicago scholars, and become the next generation of leaders in academia, industry, nonprofits, and government.
To learn more about the university click here http://www.uchicago.edu/