- Support and protect the University's academic mission with legal support and guidance.
- Ensure the University operates within the appropriate legal governance framework, and assist in the identification and management of legal risks across the University.
- Provide and coordinate a full range of legal services in connection with the state and federal laws and regulations that impact or govern private non-profit institution of higher education.
- Conduct or oversee internal investigations when needed.
- Interact regularly with external constituencies.
- Assure internal policies and procedures are in compliance with federal and state laws and regulators.
- Enhance timely and responsive legal services despite an increasingly complex regulatory landscape.
- Stay abreast of trends and laws affecting higher education locally, regionally, nationally and, where applicable, internationally.
- Ensure a healthy and productive balance between minimizing legal risk and supporting ongoing academic and co-curricular programs and enabling entrepreneurial innovation.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Juris Doctorate degree from an ABA accredited institution.
- Licensed member in good standing with the Florida Bar.
- One or more years of active practice of law as a Florida barred attorney.
- Strong legal research and writing skills.
- Working knowledge of the federal and state regulatory environment of higher education.
- Outstanding oral, written and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to listen and collaborate with diverse audiences.
- Skilled in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with students, staff, faculty, alumni, and the public.
- Commitment to an organizational culture marked by trust, integrity, ethics and professionalism.
- Ability to handle significant caseload involving many different areas of law, successfully track and cohesive and succinct documents.
- Ability to draft cohesive, clear and succinct contracts, memoranda, letters, and other documents.
The work environment characteristics described here are a representation of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The term "qualified individual with a disability" means an individual with a disability who, with or without reasonable accommodation, can perform the essential functions of this position.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate professionally in person, over the telephone, through email and other electronic means, move about the office and University, handle various type of media and equipment, and visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 10 pounds.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Saint Leo University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity as a critical step in ensuring employee, student and graduate success.
Each year from 2012 to 2016, Saint Leo University was named one of Tampa Bay's Top Workplaces by the Tampa Bay Times .
The Top Workplaces in Tampa Bay program was created by the Tampa Bay Times and WorkplaceDynamics. The companies in this survey were ranked based on leadership, compensation and training, workplace flexibility, and diversity.
One of the Top-Ranked Universities in Florida
One of the top-ranked universities in Florida, Saint Leo is a Catholic, liberal arts school serving learners of all faiths.
We are traditional, but we are cutting edge
Established in 1889 by the Order of Saint Benedict of Florida, the university seeks balanced growth in mind, body and spirit for all members of our community. Saint Leo has grown from a peaceful campus in the rolling hills of Central Florida to an institution of international consequence-ranked one of the best regional universities in the South by U.S. News & World Report
Our Tampa-area campus remains committed as ever to student-centered liberal arts education, and is strengthened by the global reach of our regionally accredited online programs and Education Centers in seven states across the U.S., including on many military bases.
We are Catholic, but we are for everyone
Our determination to make higher education more accessible to all has made Saint Leo a world leader in redefining the 21st century university. Saint Leo now serves more than 16,000 students from 49 states and 86 countries-ranking us among the five largest Catholic higher education institutions in the United States. Saint Leo is also one of the nation's 10 leading providers of higher education to the U.S. military.
While we are proudly Catholic, we teach students not because they are Catholic, but because we are Catholic. And our faith compels us to imagine and contribute to a more socially just society.