Assistant Professor, Regional Librarian
Job Description Summary
Provides reference, instruction, document delivery, and other library services to Saint Leo University students and faculty in all Virginia area centers, as well as the Columbus, Mississippi, San Diego, CA, and Corpus Christi, TX centers.
Duties and Tasks:
- Provides reference services to students and faculty. Works cooperatively with base library directors as appropriate to deliver library services to the Saint Leo community.
- Instructs students and faculty in usage and availability of Cannon Memorial Library and local library resources and services.
- Publishes and distributes information on available library resources and services.
- Works cooperatively with University Campus librarians, center directors, assistant vice presidents, faculty, and education center staff to provide and promote effective student usage of library resources and services to assigned centers.
- Participates in faculty development activities; informs faculty of new library resources and services.
- Contacts faculty regularly to ascertain future academic support needs. Attends regional/center faculty meetings and reviews syllabi for required readings and research assignments.
- Visits each Virginia education center at least once per term. Visits assigned non-Virginia education centers as necessary.
- Works cooperatively with the Director of Library Services and Assistant Vice President Saint Leo Worldwide, Central Region to attain full compliance with the standards of library support stated in applicable service memoranda of understanding.
- Establishes professional relationships with local librarians. Becomes familiar with area library resources and services and their availability to the local Saint Leo University community. Promotes use of statewide library initiatives such as Find It Virginia. Participates in state, regional, and national professional activities and continuing education workshops as appropriate.
- Conducts regular student and faculty surveys to assess effectiveness of library resources and services. Submits reports of survey results to the Director of Library Services, center directors, and appropriate Continuing Education assistant vice presidents.
- Prepares and submits term and annual reports to the Director of Library Services, center directors, and appropriate Continuing Education assistant vice presidents. Maintains report file, financial records, correspondence, and publications.
- Participates in university activities and committee work as requested by the Director of Library Services.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- ALA-accredited MLS
- Minimum of two years recent post-MLS library academic experience.
- Strong reference/public service background.
- Knowledge of and interest in creative use of technology in library instruction.
- Familiarity with reference sources in multiple formats.
- Demonstrated teaching ability in an academic and adult learning environment.
- Ability to work in a complex, team-based environment and with a diverse adult
- user group.
- Strong service orientation.
- Ability to learn new software releases and standard PC software applications.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule including nights and weekends as necessary.
- Ability to provide own transportation and cover a large service area.
Each year from 2012 to 2016, Saint Leo University was named one of Tampa Bay's Top Workplaces by the Tampa Bay Times .
The Top Workplaces in Tampa Bay program was created by the Tampa Bay Times and WorkplaceDynamics. The companies in this survey were ranked based on leadership, compensation and training, workplace flexibility, and diversity.
One of the Top-Ranked Universities in Florida
One of the top-ranked universities in Florida, Saint Leo is a Catholic, liberal arts school serving learners of all faiths.
We are traditional, but we are cutting edge
Established in 1889 by the Order of Saint Benedict of Florida, the university seeks balanced growth in mind, body and spirit for all members of our community. Saint Leo has grown from a peaceful campus in the rolling hills of Central Florida to an institution of international consequence-ranked one of the best regional universities in the South by U.S. News & World Report
Our Tampa-area campus remains committed as ever to student-centered liberal arts education, and is strengthened by the global reach of our regionally accredited online programs and Education Centers in seven states across the U.S., including on many military bases.
We are Catholic, but we are for everyone
Our determination to make higher education more accessible to all has made Saint Leo a world leader in redefining the 21st century university. Saint Leo now serves more than 16,000 students from 49 states and 86 countries-ranking us among the five largest Catholic higher education institutions in the United States. Saint Leo is also one of the nation's 10 leading providers of higher education to the U.S. military.
While we are proudly Catholic, we teach students not because they are Catholic, but because we are Catholic. And our faith compels us to imagine and contribute to a more socially just society.
South Hampton Roads